Equivalent transistor to replace MJE243/253 pair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
It is just as important to know the application as the parts you want to replace. If they are driver transistors for a specific design such as one of Bob Cordell's Book examples, it would seem pointless to substitute from the quite different driver types now commonly specified, if you expect comparable results.

You are correct in that these are not commonly stocked. I buy these and similar rarities from Mouser/Digi-key in economical quantities - when I have a large enough order for free shipping. Overall, this is a far cheaper and more certain way to DIY and opens the possibilities for many parts types you have to needlessly substitute, never sure that your results will be comparable to the original specification.

Does anyone knows if there is some bjt pair equivalent to MJE243/253.

Best regards,
Daniel Almeida
in case of driver stage from an output buffer follow vintage types from Toshiba are an appropriate replacement: 2SC2238/2SA968
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/226066-source-replacement-2sa968-2sa2238.html
Please note: there are many equivalents from other manufacturies on the marked. I haven't try this parts. I had only test the genuine Toshiba versions.
Maybe in your country good available as NOS.

Last edited:
Get 2sa1837 & 2sc4793 from here : Clickplus : Loja Online Música e Tecnologia . . .
Those transistors are in TO-220 cases, not TO-126/TO-225.

The MJE243/MJE253 are oddities because they have higher current ratings than most TO-126 parts. Without knowing anything about the application you should assume the high current rating is a requirement; if that was not true, the designer probably would have used BD139/BD140 or MJE172/MJE182. If Daniel's application doesn't require the higher current rating then there are some other options in TO-126/TO-225 cases.

Dale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.