Matching Jfets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope that Nelson has shown how to do this, BUT it is fairly easy with just a multimeter. You just short the gate to the source and add a 9V battery from the drain to the source. This gives you Idss. But how to measure? Put a 10 ohm resistor between the drain and the battery and measure across it. 0.1V=10ma and so forth. Matching Vbe is much more difficult.

Re: DMM

peufeu said:
I then take a sheet of paper, mark a scale from (for instance) 15 to 40 mA, and drop the transistors...

Can you recommend good JFETs in the 15-40mA range? How many would it take to find 4 that match at around 20mA? Is 10% considered an adequate match? And how much better would 2% matches be???

What I have in mind is matching 4 JFETs for the outputs to a headphone amplifier (for 300 ohm Sennheisers). I'm thinking about 2sk170, but don't know if I would need to buy 20, 50 or a 100 (to find enough that "match").

Sorry for a barrage of questions (I don't know if someone is reading that knows such things "like the back of their hand"). TIA.

JF

What comes closest to what I have in mind is Borbely's "Super Buffer" which is figure 8 at the following link:

http://www.borbelyaudio.com/borb502.pdf

I'm thinking of parallelling 4, 5, 6...or whatever of the jsk170/jsk74 to get 100mA. It seems that violet parts would help me get there at a lower part count (and are just a little more cost). Maybe you're suggesting 5 ohm series resistors to allow for differences between JFETs. Figure 9 shows a MOSFET version (with higher current output), but Borbely suggests that an all JFET amplifier would be the best.

My question is how closely matched (10, 5, 2%) do the k170/j74 pairs need to be?

JF

I hope that Nelson has shown how to do this, BUT it is fairly easy with just a multimeter. You just short the gate to the source and add a 9V battery from the drain to the source. This gives you Idss. But how to measure? Put a 10 ohm resistor between the drain and the battery and measure across it. 0.1V=10ma and so forth. Matching Vbe is much more difficult.

Following this guide looking at the datasheet for 2sk170bl - 0,00v over 10 Ohms... Tried 4 of them now. Maybe the battery is old. Even moved everything down my experiment board - no dice...

Regards

The Nelson Pass page with explanations and diagrams is "Matching Devices" at https://www.passdiy.com/project/articles/matching-devices

My atch diagram is taken from a circuit simulator (Multisim) but illustrates the concepts.

Dale

Attachments

• JFET_Param_Measure_Ckt.JPG
    JFET_Param_Measure_Ckt.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 1,908
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.