2stageEF high performance class AB power amp / 200W8R / 400W4R

In that case you've probably exceeded the performance of 99% of the other EF2s out there in the world and a large % of all other amps too. At least as far as distortion is concerned, but the implementation is important and you've obviously got that down, which a lot do not. And of course the good implementation is necessary to illustrate the small changes that you're making.

The only areas where I'd think you'd get a better design might be in using a triple EF to reduce the VAS loading and to use better outputs like the mjl4281, reliability should improve as would the ability to drive tougher loads, with possibly fewer output pairs (providing it's stable!). If the heatsinking allowed and was a direction you'd like to move in, you could reduce the value of the RE resistors to increase the optimum bias current and get more class A output, but I think this is something you've already considered.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
In that case you've probably exceeded the performance of 99% of the other EF2s out there in the world and a large % of all other amps too. At least as far as distortion is concerned, but the implementation is important and you've obviously got that down, which a lot do not. And of course the good implementation is necessary to illustrate the small changes that you're making.

The only areas where I'd think you'd get a better design might be in using a triple EF to reduce the VAS loading and to use better outputs like the mjl4281, reliability should improve as would the ability to drive tougher loads, with possibly fewer output pairs (providing it's stable!). If the heatsinking allowed and was a direction you'd like to move in, you could reduce the value of the RE resistors to increase the optimum bias current and get more class A output, but I think this is something you've already considered.

Dear "5th element",

thank you for your response.
Initially I thought about more class A and the first design steps were based on 0.22 RE resistors. The 0.47 are a tribute to the environment.
Another Idea behind the concept was to design the amplifier so, that it could be driven from half the power supply voltage by nearly the same performance ("green switch"?).

BR, Toni

P.S.: If this design is finished - wether it rocks or not - maybe a 3EF will come. To complete this amplifier we need a power supply, thermal, DC and speaker control and of course last but not least a case. Many hours of DIY will be necessary ...

Joined 2011
Paid Member
PSRR testing by LTSpice

BTW: is this the correct way to simulate PSRR?

BR, Toni

Attachments

• PSRR_Vdd.png
    PSRR_Vdd.png
    122.1 KB · Views: 1,102
Joined 2011
Paid Member
PSRR testing by LTSpice

PSRR is 1/Vout, so your chart is upside-down.

To eliminate PSU filtering from the test, I put the AC source in series with ground. Of course you may want to test IPS, VAS and OPS PSRR separately.

Dear keantoken,

THX. Attached a new PSRR test. Hopefully now correct. Are these acceptable values - do we need here better filtering?

BR, Toni

Attachments

• PSRR_Vdd_2.png
    PSRR_Vdd_2.png
    163.8 KB · Views: 1,069
If this design is finished - maybe a 3EF will come.
Please don't do this Toni.

Triple EFs are evil. Using them in your excellent design will definitely degrade stability and probably NOT give any better THD. Your design is already better than most designs with triples ... such that it has already attracted favourable comment from triple afficianado, Bob Cordell. :)

IMHO, you can get even better performance without increasing the attractive simplicity, with different compensation methods. I see you are already doing this with your variations on TPC.

You might like to try evil TMC and ,, if you are very brave, even 'pure Cherry' http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/235188-tpc-vs-tmc-vs-pure-cherry.html#post3474671 :eek:

Could you send me the latest LTspice .ASC for your amp and also the transistor models? I'd like to see if your excellent circuit can be further improved with 'pure Cherry' .. at least in SPICE world :D

I've PM'd

Last edited:

Triple EFs are evil. Using them in your excellent design will definitely degrade stability and probably NOT give any better THD. Your design is already better than most designs with triples ... such that it has already attracted favourable comment from triple afficianado, Bob Cordell. :)

I don't agree with You. I used triple EF in many amplifiers, without any problem. And the distortion is decreased to 1/10 of the original double EF version.
Especially the triple EF gives lower output impedance before feedback.

Sajti

Joined 2011
Paid Member

IMHO, you can get even better performance without increasing the attractive simplicity, with different compensation methods. I see you are already doing this with your variations on TPC.

You might like to try evil TMC and ,, if you are very brave, even 'pure Cherry' http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/235188-tpc-vs-tmc-vs-pure-cherry.html#post3474671 :eek:

Could you send me the latest LTspice .ASC for your amp and also the transistor models? I'd like to see if your excellent circuit can be further improved with 'pure Cherry' .. at least in SPICE world :D

I've PM'd

Voila!
Note: Cordell-Models.txt must be downloaded from bobs homepage.

TMC: I have tried but got the amp either not stable or with bad performance compared to TPC. Maybe you find the key ...

BR, Toni

Attachments

• 2stageEF_class_AB_power_amplifier_rev_2.zip
    10.9 KB · Views: 402
I don't agree with You. I used triple EF in many amplifiers, without any problem. And the distortion is decreased to 1/10 of the original double EF version.
Especially the triple EF gives lower output impedance before feedback.

Sajti

It is all in the implementation. Most of the output stage distortion is voltage distortion, not drive distortion, so no matter how much you buffer it, miller and Early leakage will conduct its distortion directly into the signal path.

Dear Harry

thank you for answering. There is so many to learn how to measure amplifier stability correctly. The Tianprobe in the NFB loop is only one test. If you have some hints where to find the error in the minor loop which is only visible in real world design and not reproducable in simulation? Where to set which probe type in simulation would be helpful.

You should consult page 8 and the addendum in my paper and the references therein.

THX. Attached a new PSRR test. Hopefully now correct.

Don't forget that here you have only measured +ve rail PSRR. You will need to repeat the test but with the AC source in series with the negative-rail voltage source.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
You should consult page 8 and the addendum in my paper and the references therein.

Don't forget that here you have only measured +ve rail PSRR. You will need to repeat the test but with the AC source in series with the negative-rail voltage source.

Dear Harry,

thanks for hints. Attached a PSRR check also from negative rail - better as from positive rail.

BR, Toni

Attachments

• pssr.png
    pssr.png
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,266
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
New driver BJT's ...

New driver bjt's (2SC4793/2SA1837 and MJE15032/MJE15033) arrived today! Need matched bjt's.
Will this do with this homebrew "breadboard hellmachine". Can measure 10 pieces of BJT's/JFET's/MOSFET's automatically. :cool:
Needs up to 3 USB-controlled multimeters.

Attachments

• bjt_matcher.jpg
    bjt_matcher.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 1,271