Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2013, 06:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Onkyo M-504 troubles - need some advice

I have an Onkyo M-504 I bought back in 1987. It has not caused me the slightest of any problems for 26 years, till now. It has been a great amp and has powered a pair of Klipsch Forte's and later a pair of KlipschHorns.

Here's what has happened over the last three months:

1. Starting about three months ago, the amp's green servo operation light would go out and I would lose sound to speakers. I would shut the amp down for a few seconds and restart it, and all was fine.

2. The problem starting becoming a little more frequent. Still just a nuissance.

3. Tonight, the servo light went off and the meters pegged to full. I shut it down, and waited a minute. when I powered it back, this time, the meters immediately pegged to full and the servo light would not light. I no longer hear the two relays working internally like before.

Not sure if in previous times (other than tonight), the meters would always peg when the servo light would go out.

I'm no repair person, though I do have basic circuitry understanding. Is the amp toast, or is there a chance?

I'm in eastern NC and one time used a guy named Alex Lok at The Analog Store. I liked his work, but I think some have recommended against on this forum.

Thanks for any help and/or recommendations - I really like this amp!
Old 27th April 2013, 12:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

to the top, please
Old 29th April 2013, 08:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

anyone here have any advice? thx.
Old 19th May 2013, 01:01 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Got a call on Friday. Analog Store in Raleigh claims the power supply relay had issues. He's charging me 4 hours labor (at $90 per hour). I think it's a little steep given that he's supposed to be an expert. What do you all think?
Old 19th May 2013, 04:31 PM   #5
ilimzn is offline ilimzn  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Not sure it's the relay but it could be the mains power detect part of the protection circuit. Usually an electrolytic cap loses capacitance because it's seeing quite high ripple so tends to age earlyer than the rest of them.
Old 20th May 2013, 12:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

he said all the caps were tested and they were fine. It wasn't the power supply per se, but I think was the relay circuitry?
Old 20th May 2013, 12:51 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemist1 View Post
he said all the caps were tested and they were fine. It wasn't the power supply per se, but I think was the relay circuitry?
I would still think the problem was with electrolytic caps affecting other parts!

Hide this!Advertise here!