Parts in Aus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey

I'll be building Rod Elliots "Project 3A" amplifier for a major school project...

http://sound.westhost.com/project3a.htm
(That's it there)

I was just wondering where I could find good parts in Australia (I live in Sydney)

So far, I've looked at Jaycar ... they seem to have most parts. Are they of good quality? I guess I'm mostly referring to the metal film resistors and the caps that I'll need to stick in. Also, they dont seem to have the transformer I'm after. P3A runs on a 300VA 30-0-30 according to my memory... so far i've only been able to find that on Farnell and its pretty expensive (i think) ... and my dad aint too happy about giving out his credit card details :xeye:

ooh yeah... the output devices - jaycar don't stock the new ones that Mr Elliot suggest, but they do have the MJ15003 / MJ15004 pair (which are suitable alternatives) Would it be a good idea to purchase these from Jaycar or are they likely to be counterfeits or of poor quality?

any help would be greatly appreciated...

g00n

PS: im a rookie at this stuff... if you have general hints and tips for construction and chassis design could you please throw them in too? Cheers :)

Hi G00n,

Dick Smith have a 28 0 28 rated @ 300 VA, That will do fine.
And why dont you try order some samples from Onsemi, Im sure they would be happy to help out for a school project.
i would go for mjl3281 and mjl1302 as they are excellent for audio and easier packages to work with, TO3P I think instead of TO3, it just makes mounting alot easier. Good luck!

g00n said:
I was just wondering where I could find good parts in Australia (I live in Sydney)

Generally RS and Farnell are the best, but you'll either have to CC them, or drive there and pick them up at the trade counter (Smithfield and Chester Hill respectively).

So far, I've looked at Jaycar ... they seem to have most parts. Are they of good quality? I guess I'm mostly referring to the metal film resistors and the caps that I'll need to stick in.

They'll be functionally OK. There are better, but perhaps it's wise to just get it all working before getting too specific on parts.

Also, they dont seem to have the transformer I'm after. P3A runs on a 300VA 30-0-30 according to my memory... so far i've only been able to find that on Farnell and its pretty expensive (i think) ... and my dad aint too happy about giving out his credit card details

For transformers, try Harbuch (Hornsby) or Torema (Brisvegas). Quite cheap and fast service, especially for a stock line toroidal. You will need to order and pay by CC though, but I personally don't see the issue with that (but it's not my CC you'll be using; no disrespect intended to your Dad). I live in the bush and mail order almost everything from all over the world, and CC fraud or other issues are non-existent, especially if you phone the CC details through, or use a secure website. All the companies I've mentioned are profesional and trustworthy IME. I use RS and Farnell (try both as components can very radically in price between them) every week, and Harbuch/Torema a couple of times a year. I have accounts at RS/F and neither keep my CC details on file.

ooh yeah... the output devices - jaycar don't stock the new ones that Mr Elliot suggest, but they do have the MJ15003 / MJ15004 pair (which are suitable alternatives) Would it be a good idea to purchase these from Jaycar or are they likely to be counterfeits or of poor quality?

Again, I'd suggest RS/Farnell. They list the brand you'll be getting and both have given good service with rare problem components in the past. I can't comment of the Q of the sand devices at Jaycar, as I don't use them.

hey thanks for the info

I'll probably end up buying most of my stuff from RS, after checking out the website.

You will need to order and pay by CC though, but I personally don't see the issue with that
dad's a little old fashioned...;)

Luke, just wondering what onSemi implies by "Sample." It's just they dont list prices... and nothing's free right? :cannotbe:

g00n

Hi G00n,

free samples are intended for industry people to order samples for evaluation. I guess its an ethical dilemma for some, buy you can easily register and order samples, they are totally free including freight. Just dont abuse it and you should be allright.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.