Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, just a question about transformers after I was checking out Plitron's product and price lists... does the transformer make THAT much of a difference? I am looking at a 1000W low noise audio transformer and it is going for mid $400's. If i were to use a seperate power supply for a pair of monoblocks that'd be $900 just in trannies! Are there comparable products in terms of quality with a much friendlier price tag? What about winding your own? I have come to understand it isn't that easy but are the results worth it? Or are the commercial products fairly superior with technology and experience?

I am looking at building a pair of 400W monoblocks and 200W stereo amp if that helps people recommending trannies.

-Mikey

By the way, one thing i liked is that they have trannies especially for electrostatic speakers now. I couldn't find many suitable transformers when I was looking a year ago. Go Plitron!

Yea they are to expensive

There are used/surplus dealers that can have what you want at a mere fraction of the cost of new. Thats what I do as a custom fabricator of equipment. (read small and part time) I have tried to deal with plitron and they are really expensive unless you can come up with larger orders. Then they give you price breaks. My advice in a nut shell is find some surplus dealers and get friendly. Patience is a virtue in DIY world when you are on a budget.

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.