150W > cheap, simple, bass power amp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2013, 04:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 150W > cheap, simple, bass power amp?

I have 4x 15inch bass scoops. Loaded with 150W 8 ohm Instrument drivers.

I use them with an active crossover at 310 Hz. I'm looking for a robust design with easy to obtain, cheap components.

I've considered a Quasi after reading this thread,

QUASI Amplifier for Beginners

2N3773's apear to be unobtainable. 2N3055, don't appear powerful enough. 2SC5200 seem to be the only option.

Should I be looking for a Mosfet design? I think class D looks too difficult.

I'm pretty sure that transformers are going to be the largest part of the cost, so efficiency should be taken into account.

I dont mind etching my own boards, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to design one.

What should I be looking at? I'm imagining 4x Class B mono blocks.

( First post so be kind)

Thanks for your input.
Old 5th April 2013, 04:26 PM   #2
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

You can have a look at Rod Elliot Subwoofer Amplifier. Project 68.
It gives 150 or 300 or 500 Watt output. It is a matter of Voltage-supply and number of output transistors.

300/500W Subwoofer Power Amplifier

You can order PCB for it.
Old 5th April 2013, 04:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Another good amp to try is APEX AUDIO B500 super simple to diy
Old 5th April 2013, 04:41 PM   #4
khalsa is offline khalsa  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to khalsa
theb0b APEX audio B500 is best amp
Old 5th April 2013, 05:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm plodding through the B500 thread at the moment.

As much as I love ESP designs, I have bought boards from there before. I find the site bewildering, the descriptions to be ambiguous and the forum at times to be hostile to beginners.

The B500 looks like what I'm looking for. Apexaudio is the man!
Old 5th April 2013, 06:37 PM   #6
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

or go to the original Quasi Threads.
The designer maintains his own website with all the different types detailed there.
Old 6th April 2013, 03:34 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks AndrewT, I always appreciate your posts.

Unfortunately I can only find his Facebook page, and that is a site I avoid at all costs! If you could provide a link, I'd be grateful.

There is a huge amount of information in the D500 thread...

500W PA amplifier with Limiter

I'm slowly working my way through it. It appears to be an excellent solution for my requirements.
Old 6th April 2013, 05:47 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theb0b View Post
I find the site bewildering, the descriptions to be ambiguous and the forum at times to be hostile to beginners.
Personally, I find his descriptions to be outstanding. I'm a fan of Elliott's; I got a few ideas from his work. But his stuff is not for beginners, and he states this quite clearly in many of his project descriptions.
Old 6th April 2013, 08:20 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie D View Post
Personally, I find his descriptions to be outstanding. I'm a fan of Elliott's; I got a few ideas from his work. But his stuff is not for beginners, and he states this quite clearly in many of his project descriptions.
Not intending to be belligerent, but the quoted link to his excellent 300/500W Subwoofer Amplifier, is a good example. Why doesn't he just state which drivers and output devices are recommended, rather than using multiple, ambiguous anaphoric references in various updates?

This "flowery" style, in my opinion, needlessly complicates comprehension. Technical writing should be clear, concise and unambiguous. The site is archaic, lacks structure, is difficult to navigate, and forces new pages to open unnecessarily.

This is unfortunate because the site contains a wealth of information, unavailable from other sources, and is truly one of the best repositories of information for the hobby. His designs and knowledge are outstanding, but the presentation of that information is distracting.

I have enjoyably built several of his projects. Unfortunately the cluttered, ambiguous documentation, was detrimental to the experience.

Technical writing is a specialized field, many great engineers have failed to adequately master it.

(I hope this doesn't come over as rude, that isn't my intention.)
Old 6th April 2013, 09:12 AM   #10
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Theb0b,
you do a dis-service to the ESP site.
The information that you credit the site with having, sometimes unique must have taken years of full time effort to compile.
It matters not that the writing style or presentation is archaic.
The content is what matters.

Hide this!Advertise here!