Marantz PM-230 Amp repair help - Input selector? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2013, 10:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Marantz PM-230 Amp repair help - Input selector?

Hi all,

I've recently bought a Marantz PM-230 amp from ebay for very little money, but have found the device to be faulty.

Basically, there is zero output from the speakers from any of the inputs. I am pretty sure the fault lies in the input selector, as the lights indicating the active inputs work fairly erratically; they don't respond to the corresponding button, and turn on in random arrangements each time i power up the unit.

While I am a novice in this sort of thing, I am prepared to get my hands dirty and my soldering iron out to try and repair the thing, as i paid so little for it and am keen to learn.

I've opened up the amp to see of there were any visual defects, blown components, bad connections etc, but nothing seems wrong. I also checked out the schematic and everything seems to match up properly.

I found this thread MArantz PM47 - repair help. It lead me to believe that it could be one of the input selection ICs that has failed. The one in question here is IC7815. I've tracked down and ordered a replacement.

Does that seem like an obvious reason for the device to be faulty?
Are there any things i should check before attempting an IC replacement?

While I am inside the amp, should I consider any other replacements/upgrades?

Thanks for your help

Hide this!Advertise here!