Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Regs - Shunt vs Series
Regs - Shunt vs Series
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2012, 02:33 PM   #21
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Why I'm bothering with the preregulator ?
well that too, but the main thing, why are you bothering spending sooo much time on this question of the regulator output caps? they are not only not locally decoupling anything, they are driving another regulator.... any good regulator will render the difference in these caps utterly insignificant to 'sound quality' if it didnt it would be a pretty crap regulator

popular opinion would have you replacing all those evil ceramics on the pins of devices with film caps, even though for local HF decoupling they are orders of magnitude worse than ceramics

it sounds to me like you are taking opinions/recommendations out of context, or whoever is parroting them.

Last edited by qusp; 14th December 2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 14th December 2012, 03:00 PM   #22
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

ceramics (of good quality) are suitable for psu decoupling.
Old 14th December 2012, 03:08 PM   #23
dahlberg is offline dahlberg  Sweden
diyAudio Member

So it's your firm belife that components in a preregulator can not make any difference soundqualitywise as long as the last regulator is "good" ?
Old 14th December 2012, 03:30 PM   #24
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Out of context !
Again !
Old 14th December 2012, 03:50 PM   #25
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

I really suggest that you do some research as to what the roll of capacitors are in this circuit, how that relates to this application of this circuit and audio power supplies in general...

context is everything... not just in my words here, but very specifically for capacitors and each ones roll in the circuits and the specific positions they are placed in.

Last edited by qusp; 14th December 2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 14th December 2012, 04:05 PM   #26
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Regs - Shunt vs Series
The Salas shunt regulator tested very well indeed, but fared poorly in the listening test.

Walt Jung's interview in AX has been archived to his website and has a very good explanation of the reasons why a shunt regulator should perform better. When I can get my panel of listeners together, we'll take a serious listen to the 2012 edition of the Jung Regulator.
Old 14th December 2012, 04:51 PM   #27
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
I wonder what is the advantage of shunt regs. I know shunt regs can source current, but don't see how this is an advantage.

So far I've tried the Salas shunt reg and Twisted Pear shunt reg, and both of them were an improvement over the series regs that they replaced in my DAC and headphone amps. They have a clear advantage over the LM317 chip sonically.
Old 15th December 2012, 10:30 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Shunt Regulators have an absolute limit on maximum current.

If the tiny amount of capacitance between the reg and the circuit (typical of most regulators of all types) cannot supply the demanded current then the performance will fail.

This must impinge on sonics.

I think many underestimate the transient current demands of most audio circuits.

Some even think that all ClassA amplifiers/stages draw constant current.
It's fallacies like this that lead unthinking builders down the route of sonic disasters.
Old 15th December 2012, 12:45 PM   #29
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Shunt Regulators have an absolute limit on maximum current.

If the tiny amount of capacitance between the reg and the circuit (typical of most regulators of all types) cannot supply the demanded current then the performance will fail.

This must impinge on sonics.

I think many underestimate the transient current demands of most audio circuits.

Some even think that all ClassA amplifiers/stages draw constant current.
It's fallacies like this that lead unthinking builders down the route of sonic disasters.

But this is why you over design the shunt (make it waste much more current than its load will ever pull), the load's ground becomes the limiting factor.
I mean it/s not like transients are faster than the current can pull thru the wire right ?
Old 15th December 2012, 01:15 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

If the wire has inductance (all do have) then the current demand can be faster than the wire can supply.

Regs - Shunt vs SeriesHide this!Advertise here!