NEED MOD FOR CRATE GX1200H for gain 2's shape(mid) control - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2003, 07:01 AM   #1
Banned

Default NEED MOD FOR CRATE GX1200H for gain 2's shape(mid) control

[SIZE=4][COLOR=blue]Ok people here's the dilema. Killer sounding amp and it was dirt cheap. The clean sound will match or blow away any tube amps and the dirty channels will too until it comes to the a mid sound or the mids in general for the dirty channel.

I want to change the mid frequency band it sweeps. What happens as you add mids with the shape control the decibel level increases but it also sweeps higher in the bandwidth of the mids it has range in. I'm betting it's bandwidth for the mids on the gain channel range from 2000 hz to say maybe 3000 hz.

I mean it's way to close to the treble range. It lacks character and power that mids really need. Be an awesome control if I could just get it into the lower mid to average mid frequency bandwidths. Hoping to maybe get it from anywhere in between 600 hz to maybe 1800 hz.

It's going to have a verying range of mid frequency so anyone who knows what I'm talking about could probably give me an idea of the range I'm going to want.

I'm really hoping to get it to give that gutsy groany mid sound blues and jazz players love such as myself. Though I'm a metal head too which this amp produces sounds for that are untouchable by anything quite honestly.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME GET THE MIDS!!!!!!!
Old 28th November 2003, 02:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hello MrCheeks!

My second amp was a TD50C, IIRC. It only had a single 12AX7 in the preamp, but it spoiled me on tube amps permanently

I remember that the "shape" control had a rather complex action to it. As the control was rotated clockwise the mids would be sucked out while the lows and highs would be simoultaneously boosted. It seems to me that the circuit might be more than just a simple active midrange eq circuit. Even so, it would probably be easy enough to change the center frequency by changing a few capacitors.

Do you have a schematic? If not, can you post detailed pics of the pc board near the control (top and bottom)? I sold my Crate about ten years ago, so I can't remember what the inside looks like.

Hide this!Advertise here!