7812/7912 regulator questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am using these regulators in the preamp section of my amp. I'm looking for some more power and I have some larger transformers around. Currently my rails are 19v, I want to attach a transformer that will give 58v rails. I only pull a few mA from the regulators so dissipation is not an issue. If the regulators do not produce +/-12v bad things will happen in the amp. Am I safe to attach this transformer?

Those regulators will not survive input voltage that high. You will need to drop the voltage down with a preregulator or dropping resistors. If you know how much current these +- 12 volt regulators supply to the circuit just chose a resistor value to put in series with the regulator input that will give you about 18 volts or so on the input. Be sure that the resistor is high enough wattage to safely handle the heet generated.

You could just feed the regulators with the low voltage transformer you have now and power the rest of the amp with the higher voltage transformer. That way you don't need to change anything other than building a seperate highvoltage supply for the power amp.

Without knowing more about the circuit that's about all I can suggest.

Later BZ:geezer:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Am I safe to attach this transformer?

No, but you could use some LMxxx to preregulate.

The 78/79xx series aren't really all that good sounding but I can't see how on earth that amp is going to be more powerful by changing the VA rating of the xformer and sticking to the same rail voltage and current ratings????

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

If the regulators do not produce +/-12v bad things will happen in the amp.

So:

With a new transformer he's increasing rails from 19 to 58 V.

Yes but sticking to say, +/- 12V is not going to give more output power to the amps though, is it?

Gee, I think I hear an echo.

Or perhaps a misunderstanding on my part...

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.