Crimson Elektrik PCB's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2013, 06:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Crimson Elektrik PCB's

Hi There
I am new to "forums" as a research tool, so I hope I am making the correct moves here????

I have just re-discovered my old Crimson set up. This consists of a 510 preamp and 2 x power amps. I built the power amps in 1978-79 and I have no idea what power they supply.
The PCB's have markings on them but I cannot trace any info' regarding output and resistance. The markings all start with 35-53. On the back of the PCB there are 2 x marks, one is 35-350 or 35-35"O" and the other is 35-53A. On the component side the marking is 35-53B. Does anyone recognise these and could you supply the output details.

My wife has just purchased 2 x Linn Isobarik DMS speakers for me, I have had to wait over 25 years for these, and I would love to play my music through the Crimson system. Are these compatible with the Crimson??

Lastly. I have become lazy in my dotage and most of my music is in MP3 format on my PC's. These are powerful machines with good audio output. Would it be feasible to play the MP3 through the Crimson and the "Bricks"???

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 22nd March 2013, 07:44 PM   #2
EssB is offline EssB  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Can you put up a decent picture of the board? Peter Powell of Crimson is still about and may see your post.
I'm not sure the board markings will definitely identify the actual amp module as a I suspect the '35-53' is just a pcb number and the same pcb was probably used for most of the different amp modules, with some different component values. The size of the transformer and the output voltage taps being used may be more useful to work out the output power.
Old 22nd March 2013, 07:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

a little OT
When you'll be playing MP3s with your new set-up, you'll hear
compressed music
How can you stand music that looses 50-80% of information, just
because your brain makes the rest ?
Old 22nd March 2013, 08:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
a little OT
When you'll be playing MP3s with your new set-up, you'll hear
compressed music
How can you stand music that looses 50-80% of information, just
because your brain makes the rest ?
... and through the 'bricks it will sound awful

If they are the boards from late 70's/early 80's then they are probably 100w in to 4ohm (I had a pair from that era. Wish I still had them. A recap and new PS and they would be fantastic) Should be powerful enough for the 'bricks.

Last edited by Mr Onion; 22nd March 2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 23rd March 2013, 04:05 AM   #5
nezbleu is online now nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

I assume we all know the difference between data compression and audio (aka dynamic range) compression. The OP asked for information about his amps, not opinions about digital music formats.
Old 23rd March 2013, 10:12 AM   #6
EssB is offline EssB  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezbleu View Post
The OP asked for information about his amps, not opinions about digital music formats.
Quite so, and it was his first post - not much of a welcome was it!

I found here http://www.mickandviv.com/pfm/DMSHiF...sureReview.pdf that the Linn Isobarik DMS is rather low impedance - 4 Ohms or less. You can hook up the Crimson's and you'll get sound out of them and it shouldn't cause any damage as the Crimsons are load line limited. Really you need the 4 ohm modules to drive those speaker, CE1004 or CE1704.

If I get some time this weekend I'll scan the original Crimson instruction booklet that I got with my CE1708 modules in Jan 1980. It covers all their amp modules at the time. It might help you sort it out.
Old 23rd March 2013, 10:22 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi there
Thanks for the input guys. I have attached a pic to this message and will send another as they are both over 2mb and if there is a restriction on size then 2 would not be sent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-03-23 10.09.49.jpg (439.9 KB, 385 views)
Old 23rd March 2013, 10:29 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

The second pic is attached.

In reply to the knocker. I do have all my original music on CD but as my family grew, 5 kids, I had less and less room for my music gear. However I could play them through my headcans, PC speakers and mobile phone. This meant transferring them all to MP3. I used the highest rating I could and, to my untrained ear, they didn't loose any of their appeal.

Hope the pcs help you guys to solve my dilemma.

Thanks again
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-03-23 10.09.49.jpg (439.9 KB, 355 views)
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:50 PM   #9
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Brian Powell is a Member here.
Ask him either via a Crimson Thread, or via his Email, or Private Message.

2pr 2n3773 as the output stage !
I wonder if these are CE3004 PCBs?

Last edited by AndrewT; 23rd March 2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 23rd March 2013, 01:21 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Whoops same photo twice; its my age.
This is the close up of the PCB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-03-23 10.09.02.jpg (601.8 KB, 345 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!