Amplifier Interconnect problem Linn LK2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2003, 04:39 PM   #1
qboneus is offline qboneus  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Amplifier Interconnect problem Linn LK2

I just purchased a linn lk2 that is missing it's interconnect's (fleabay)
My pre- a Nakamichi Ca-5 only has RCA outs but the linn uses a variant of a XLR connection for input. Is this a DIY able interconnect or is this something I am going to have to purchase from linn?
I would like to DIY the cables but purchasing is ok too.
Also on the e-manual I saw said that they use a special 4mm speaker connection to attach to the lk2.
I didn't realize that the connections were so different from standard amp connections.
Can anyone help me get ready so I can plug-n-play when it arrives?
Any info regarding the LK2 would be very helpful as well.

Thanks a lot,
Tal
Old 2nd April 2004, 12:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to sparkinark Send a message via MSN to sparkinark Send a message via Yahoo to sparkinark
Default LK280 interconnects

If you will look on the back of the amps, they show the pin wiring for the XLR connectors. Note that this is not a balanced wire input, nor is it meant to be. Linn just liked these connectors better than the RCAs and so they used them.

You have many options. If you wish you can buy some XLR connectors (Neutrik is what everyone says to use) and wire them RCA on one side (for your other preamps, CD players, etc.) and as they show on the back of the amp on the other side. You can use the cables you have or buy new ones.

If you plan to keep these amps, I'd just order a new set of cables from someone and tell them to use their regular RCA cables, but put XLR jacks on one end. Make sure to tell them this is not for a balanced interconnect and supply them with the wiring shown on the back of the amps. I know AudioQuest will do this type of stuff for you for a modest fee. Don't know about others but I suspect most are the same.

Also, I'm rebuilding my two LK280s (w/o "Spark" power supplies) and would appreciate some help from you if you have the Spark upgrades. Some pictures of the boards inside and such would be great. I understand if you don't want to take it apart, though.

I ended up just cutting out the XLRs on the back and putting in a pair of female RCA couplers and I just use regular RCA cables now. If you'll notice, Linn really only uses two wires -- the back of the amps show "NC" for "No Connection", so they themselves only use two of the three wires available on an XLR cable. That said, I'd use the third pin for either a shield or drain wire, depending on how you want to configure things.

Making a long story short -- if you have info, please share. If you need info, just ask and I'll do what I can. If you know of anyone else who has these or has worked on them, please ask them to email me.

Sincerely,

Shawn Harvey
email: sparkinark@yahoo.com

Hide this!Advertise here!