PeeCeeBee

zeoN,

I thought you had some of the Hitachi laterals on hand. Why not build a PeeCeeBee using those? The specifications between the old Hitachis and the newer Exicons are similar, I think if there is any difference in the sound it will almost solely be the result of slightly different manufacturing processes.

zeoN,

I thought you had some of the Hitachi laterals on hand. Why not build a PeeCeeBee using those? The specifications between the old Hitachis and the newer Exicons are similar, I think if there is any difference in the sound it will almost solely be the result of slightly different manufacturing processes.

I am 54+ Y, don't have patience.

Obviously I'm stupid can't find :confused:

Regards zeoN_Rider

@PMI and others searching for cheap DIY loudspeaker project for use with VSSA PeeCeeBee

I would personally recommend point source loudspeakers (coaxials). The cheapest that I found are projects based on Eminence Beta 10CX 10" woofer. Different projects with this woofer use different horn drivers. I plan to build Cheap Trick CT235 (from Klang & Ton) by Thomas Schmidt, but there are other projects even on this site (use search tool for Eminence driver Beta 10CX). One thing to remember is that with this kind of woofer a long time is needed to soften rear suspension on the woofer (it is made for sound reinforcement) so one should start break in before the enclosure is made. Play some FM interstation noise at couple of Volts level 24/7 for as long as possible. For US and Canada builders it is easy to obtain this cheap driver and suitable HF driver, but Beta 10CX is not available here in Serbia. I like CT235 project because it is floorstander but reflex port is tuned at around 60Hz which is good for people that has small room and need to place speakers near walls.

VSSA T03

I put the amplifier on with materials that I had. The first opening without matched couple in the amplifier's input got 57 mv offset.
By placing a resistor 390Κ in parallel with 15Κ offset now is 0-1 mV very stable.
910mV on gate P and 520 mv on gate N without aluminum edge
Two classics transformers 24V four MUR 820 four old 4700/50V Nichicon
output +33V/-33V.
2 X 1000μf/35V from switch supply
2 X 2200/6,3 V TEAPO from switch supply
BD 139/BD 140 - 22pf Comp
I also got square waveforms 100khz very clear which will show tomorrow.
I'm impressed with the sound with this materials
Reagrds Nikos

Attachments

• IMGP1894.JPG
    IMGP1894.JPG
    402.4 KB · Views: 982
  • IMGP1895.JPG
    IMGP1895.JPG
    323 KB · Views: 920
  • IMGP1896.JPG
    IMGP1896.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 895
  • IMGP1897.JPG
    IMGP1897.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 860
  • IMGP1898.JPG
    IMGP1898.JPG
    326.6 KB · Views: 860
  • IMGP1901.JPG
    IMGP1901.JPG
    374.3 KB · Views: 376
I put the amplifier on with materials that I had.
I like it! Anytime you can save some of these old components from a scrap yard, it is a clear win for everyone! Besides, some of those old transformers were built better than the new. :yes:

I also got square waveforms 100khz very clear which will show tomorrow.
I was quite surprised at how clean and stable the output looked on my scope. I can get a recognizable square wave a little over 500kHz. The rise and fall times are obvious at that point, but even at 500K, it's still a square wave! :D

Congratulations on the successful build!