SMPS powered JLH 69 - quick and dirty results - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2014, 12:38 AM   #31
zog666 is offline zog666  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzaichenko View Post
Not really sensitive - Monitor Audio RS series, particularly RS-8 at the front channels. Anyway, power amplifier has got roughly 30db gain, but nothing is audible at the output without signal...
These are 91dB sensitive speakers - so most of the amps I have (even very inexpensive DIY ones like my TDA7297) would be dead quiet as well.
I have amps that are dead quiet with my Econowave speakers (95dB sensitive) that are unlistenable due to the hiss with my HF-144 compression drivers (110dB sensitive) even with 7dB of LPAD attenuation on them to drop them to 103dB sensitive. With these all my amps have some audible hiss near the waveguide, but the best of them are quiet at the listening position....

but back to the JLH 1969 amp.. the first kit I ordered from ebay didnt show up, but the seller refunded me which was good, so I ordered one fro Aliexpress with expedited shipping and a tracking number.

I've assembled it using an old amp chassis I grabbed from the recycling bin, and used a single 30cm large heatsink for both amp modules. It gets hot, but not tooo hot.

Running it at 22VDC, and I measure 10.4DC at the middle point. At the wall it is consuming 70VDC.

Click the image to open in full size.

Initially it was quite noisy as I'd made some errors in the wiring, but now they are fixed it seems quiet enough, now to integrate it with my active system and have a listen.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!