SMPS powered JLH 69 - quick and dirty results - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2013, 12:03 PM   #11
zog666 is offline zog666  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I'm also looking into using an SMPS with one of the ebay JLH 1969 kits.
Looks like a "fast" way to have an experiment with Class A amps, as reports seem this circuit works quite well driven by SMPS, and it will simplify the build for me.

For my use it will be for the HF amp an an active system (crossover @ 600hz), so not much bass energy, so lack of power for bass is OK as long as it doesnt affect the basic operation of the amp.

Will I be able to get away with a smaller SMPS, rated @ 4A or 6A?
One example I'm looking at is:
Altronics - M8410 Switchmode Power Supply DIN Rail - 120W 24VDC
which looks like it has quite good specs, if my intended use for non-bass lets me work with the lower power.
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:53 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
I realize I'm a bit late in answering this question but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kim View Post
1. There is absolutely no noise when I use Ipod as the source, but there's some high-pitch noise when I use DAC. It is not 60Hz AC noise. The frequency is higher. What can this be?
This is what's called 'common-mode noise'. You don't get any with your ipod because that has no connection to mains, but I take it your DAC has a trafo and a mains cord. The noise is the switching frequency generated within the SMPSU and travels down the amp's input connecting cables back through the DAC's trafo (inter-winding capacitance) and returns to source via the mains. This form of noise the biggest bug-bear of using a switching supply.

Solution is fitting a suitable common-mode choke, sometimes more than one. Your switching supply will already have one internally but its inadequate when being used in an audio application (as are practically all because switchers aren't designed with audio in mind).
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:54 PM   #13
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I haven't bought from them myself but these guys could be a good alternative for an SMPS: Connexelectronic
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 3rd December 2013, 07:18 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

JLH with SMPS sounds incredible. I use it with a 27V 10 amp Meanwell supply, no noises of any kind with anything as input, even a PC. I also changed from typical transformer supply to SMPS. What a change it was, like chalk and cheese! Mine has been running for 3 years and I do not turn the power off, ever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15122011070.jpg (644.5 KB, 233 views)
Old 3rd December 2013, 07:32 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Altronics - M8996 Powertran Laptop Multi-Voltage Power Supply 100W

Works perfectly for me, no noise whatsoever.
Old 3rd December 2013, 07:33 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I built a JLH 1969 and used a pair of Server supplies in series for 26V. It worked fine but the sound was less than inspiring and not worth the heat. Interesting experiment though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JLH close up.jpg (204.4 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg JLH With Speakers.jpg (244.4 KB, 215 views)
X-BoSoZ, B1 Mezmerize, P101, Symasym, KSA 50, Aleph-X, Leach Low TIM, Leach Superamp, Dx MKIII, Super A, Honey Badger, JLH 1969, Gainclone. FetZilla, Peeceebee, VSSA PMI & jkuetemann, SKA GB150, Ovation nx & sx, AX&SX-14, TMG8, Slewmanster w/CFA-XH, Wolverine, Spooky, Symasui, Low TIM hybrid
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:53 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Why is it that we always have one speaker with a dust cap pushed in
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 3rd December 2013, 10:01 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Why is it that we always have one speaker with a dust cap pushed in
Children? Mine were told I could replace them more easily than the speakers; dust caps and grilles are intact, children only slightly psychologically scarred.

***Note: The above statement is humour. Now where is that sarcasm font... ***
Old 3rd December 2013, 10:48 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

My children are sure they didn't do it and they don't know how it happened

Hey you is just down the street from me (Waterloo) !
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:09 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I'm thankful for the dented dust cover and the repaired tear in the other woofer. Because of those, these speaker were given to me for free. I repaired the tear and they play perfectly. How many guys do you know who have a set of vintage JBL's that they use for their "test" speakers? If the amp works on those I move on to my better JBL's.

Blessings, Terry
X-BoSoZ, B1 Mezmerize, P101, Symasym, KSA 50, Aleph-X, Leach Low TIM, Leach Superamp, Dx MKIII, Super A, Honey Badger, JLH 1969, Gainclone. FetZilla, Peeceebee, VSSA PMI & jkuetemann, SKA GB150, Ovation nx & sx, AX&SX-14, TMG8, Slewmanster w/CFA-XH, Wolverine, Spooky, Symasui, Low TIM hybrid

Hide this!Advertise here!