Luxman: new DML units issued.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Luxman amplifier owners,

My name is Hans and I am the moderator of the Luxman Yahoo group and the webmaster of the Luxman Vintage Website.

I can announce today that new DML replacement units have been issued.

This is the real thing for the Luxman amplifier owner that incorporates DML units. Now is the time to do the final replacement and tackle all issues known by the old notorious DML's.

There are new DML-01 and DML-02 units available at production costs. (excl. shipping and other fees). No prophit involved.

Take a look at the Luxman Vintage Website and discover what fantastic new units a famous USA engineer has developed and produced.

You can now finally extend the life of your Luxman and be shure that all Luxman and modern electronic standards will be met by your Luxman amp.

You are invited to ask questions through the website, the Luxman Yahoo group or this forum.

I hope this is of interest for you and you will benefit from this DML replacement project.

kind regards to you all,
Hans

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Hi,

Did you see where he gets his info? From my Luxman website, no problem with that, but the quality difference of the replacement units is obvious!

And: I offer lifetime guarantee! Look for more difference and details at my Luxman website.

kind regards,
Hans

Hi Hans,

Thank's for your contribution to keep "the golden age" Luxman equipment running for the next couple of decades.
You don't need to explain....all the Luxman owners knows your site already :happy1:

Nice to know where to find the DML-01 and DML-02 modules to reasonable prices.

I do have two Luxman C12, one M12 and three B12 amplifiers which uses the mentioned modules.

Besides the above mentioned amplifiers I have the "pearl".. Luxman L58........L100, L11, C02 and C03.
The C02 ....beautiful design ....I think :)

Rgds. Kim

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Hi,

Did you see where he gets his info? From my Luxman website, no problem with that, but the quality difference of the replacement units is obvious!

And: I offer lifetime guarantee! Look for more difference and details at my Luxman website.

kind regards,
Hans

Hi,
I have looked closer to the DML-01/02 modules of yours at :
Luxman audio products
The PCB includes nice clean 1mm solderpins....very good idea!

I think that the installation pdf guide you mention for later download would be a great help to many Luxman owners. Thanks!

If I may go a little off topic? .... for repair of a B12 .........Do you have any suggestions where to find replacement output transistors for the Luxman B12?

Free help for L100, M12 and C12 repair: TUBEAMP look at "Luxman" in the menu.

....and much more free hifi stuff on Picasa web: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos

The whole intention with the "Tubeamp" amateur website is to provide hifi ideas for free :)

...."hifidelitis"....a disorder that's not easy to get rid of:shhh:

Best regards Kim

Hello Kim,

I have a Toshiba SA-7150 receiver on the bench and it uses the same output transistors that you are looking for. I have a pair of B-12 also and when I saw the transistors in the Toshibe I thought the numbers looked familiar. Maybe you could find a clapped out Toshiba.

Craig

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Hello Kim,

I have a Toshiba SA-7150 receiver on the bench and it uses the same output transistors that you are looking for. I have a pair of B-12 also and when I saw the transistors in the Toshibe I thought the numbers looked familiar. Maybe you could find a clapped out Toshiba.

Craig

Thanks Craig, very nice information to get ....you are very good at observing things:)

I have bought 3 pairs of Sanken TO3 2SA909/2SC1586 ...should be 10mHz types. The intention was to replace the unoriginal noname transistors in one of the B12's (which the owner before me had used for repair), with the 10mHz Sanken...not perfect but better to know what's inside your amplifier.
I shall try to search for the Toshiba SA-7150 you mentioned....I don't think the original Luxman OP-transistors are available anymore:no:

By use of faster output transistors it would be nice to get as close to Luxman specs as possible...This was not a problem with the M12 at the renovation, because all output transistors worked like new.

Best regards Kim

Hi Forum members,

I have to point out again, after the reaction of a Dutch forum who refused my message, There is no profit involved in these DMLs, you pay for what you get, we do not need any profit for our efforts. The US engineer who designed and produced the DMLs said about profit: I do this because it annoyed me when the DMLs broke down in my vintage Luxman and found no replacement, so I want to help the vintage Luxman owner with this issue, I do not need any profit, I am not in this for the money.
The same counts for me.

kind regards,
Hans

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
What's interesting is note #2 on the schematic that says all semiconductors can be substituted with anything comparable. You don't see that too often!

Craig

This repair note has slipped my mind, but it's nice to know that comparable transistors can be used, hopefully without losing or destroying Luxman's specifications. When I made the renovation on my M12 and changed components, all capacitors ( exept the two large in the psu) was my biggest concern about all transistors and whether they were still functioning.
I was lucky.....after the component change the M12 showed to be one of the most stable amplifiers I had ever measured as far as bias and DC offset was concerned.:)

Best regards Kim

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Hi Kim,

Yes there are replacements, I used them often, I just have to check, I will get beack to you.

regards,
Hans

Hello Hans,

Thanks, I would like to know the transistor types you have used for the B12 repair. I have three B12 mono amplifiers. One should have been for spareparts and has been repaired with MJ15003 and MJ15004.
The Motorola MJ specifications do not meet the original output transistors, which was the reason why I bought the Sanken TO3 substitutes.

Best regards Kim

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Hi Forum members,

I have to point out again, after the reaction of a Dutch forum who refused my message, There is no profit involved in these DMLs, you pay for what you get, we do not need any profit for our efforts. The US engineer who designed and produced the DMLs said about profit: I do this because it annoyed me when the DMLs broke down in my vintage Luxman and found no replacement, so I want to help the vintage Luxman owner with this issue, I do not need any profit, I am not in this for the money.
The same counts for me.

kind regards,
Hans

Hans, take it easy........My payment to Germany for one DML-01 and one DML-02 module was 61,76€ or approximately 80 US$ .......

Matching the 2SC1845 takes time, the uPa63H or your uPa68HA is difficult to find and the small PCB need to be made and soldered.

According to your prices , my good friends in US earns a little on the DML purchase compared to us in Europe .... but what the heck .... it is all about to get ones Luxman amplifier work the next couple of decades?:)

Perhaps I'm too careless....?:shhh:
Best regards Kim

Hi Kim,

I will check this weekend for the transistors and let you know, I do not know what exactly is available at the moment as I use my current stock, but I noticed some weeks ago that it will be exhausted soon, so I need to find more myself too.

for the DMLs need to be shipped to the EU, in greater quantites, the US post service is still not free, I have to ask them to join our DML project and offer us free shipping, but I think......... ;-)

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Hi Kim,

You will almost certain know them:

I use at the moment the Toshiba 2SB555 with complementary 2SD425, selected on 10 MHz transition and HFE of minimum 100.

I am running out of them so I have to look for them again.

Maybe I will get something more modern, although these transistors do a very good job,

I hope this helps,

kind regards,
Hans.

Hello Hans,

Thank you for your help.
I have not checked out or tried the mentioned Toshiba transistors before....it is not very easy to find close substitutes to replace the original 2SD665 and 2SB645.

I shall try to find the Toshiba 2SD425/2SB555 specs and compare them with the Sanken 2SA909/2SC1586 I bought.

Meanwhile I have uploaded the Luxman B12 schematic for repair support :):
https://picasaweb.google.com/vbkolsen/LuxmanB1202#5855723809101405202

Best regards Kim

NB. use the magnification button in the top line at Picasa web for best picture:)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Hi Kim,

You will almost certain know them:

I use at the moment the Toshiba 2SB555 with complementary 2SD425, selected on 10 MHz transition and HFE of minimum 100.

I am running out of them so I have to look for them again.

Maybe I will get something more modern, although these transistors do a very good job,

I hope this helps,

kind regards,
Hans.

Hello Hans,

I have checked out the Toshiba 2SB555/ 2SD425 you suggested.

The specs are: 6 mHz / 140V / 12A / 100W for 2SB555
5 mHz / 140V / 12A / 100W for 2SD425

Sanken specs: 10 mHz / 200V / 15A / 150W for 2SA909
10 mHz / 200V / 15A / 150W for 2SC1586

Luxman B12 specs: 15 mHz / 200V / 15A / 150W for 2SD665 NPN
12 mHz / 200V / 15A / 150W for 2SB645 PNP

With a luxman B12 and +-75Vdc on the raw rail supplies the output transistors meets the full voltage of 150Vdc.
I don't think the Toshiba transistors you suggested would keep up the fight for very long time due to the max voltage of 140Vdc.
The Sanken pair I found stays closer to the Luxman B12 requirements of minimum 200Vdc and the Ft 15 mHz.

The Toshiba 2SB555/ 2SD425 you mentioned can be used for the Luxman M12 , exept for the Ft , which on the transistors used by Luxman are:
2SD551 /15 mHz / 150V and 2SB681 / 13 mHz / 150V.

The Luxman M12 uses approximately +-50 Vdc on the rails and can accept 140V transistor types.

Best regards Kim

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.