Quad 44/405

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I have just acquired a quad 44 and a 405. I have plugged my sonos connect into it via the CD input on the 44.

The sound I am getting is very muffled and it seems to me the input sensitivity is too high as turning the volume up on the sonos more than 1/4 makes it very loud even when the volume control is at zero on the 44.

I also have a Cambridge audio A500. I might try using the pre-out on this to feed the 405 when I get hold of a din-phono cable. Is this advisable?

I would appreciate any advise as this is a new hobby to me!

There's diffidently something not right. It sounds terrible! I'm going to try using my Cambridge audio A500 as the pre amp. Unfortunately the 405 has a 4 pin din connection so it looks like I'm going to have to have a go at making a phono to din cable.

I have had the top off the 405 looks like its had some work done fairly recently by someone who knew what they were doing so I'm hoping there is no issues with it.....

Hi
I have just acquired a quad 44 and a 405. I have plugged my sonos connect into it via the CD input on the 44.
These are in my opinion not the best preamp or amplifier quad did, but they still are better than many other companies amplifiers.
The sound I am getting is very muffled and it seems to me the input sensitivity is too high as turning the volume up on the sonos more than 1/4 makes it very loud even when the volume control is at zero on the 44.
This sounds bad, my first reaction is that the capacitors are worn out and the input volume is to high.
I also have a Cambridge audio A500. I might try using the pre-out on this to feed the 405 when I get hold of a din-phono cable. Is this advisable?
Yes do this first, and it will tell you if the problem is with the preamp or the power amp. You might also try using the Quad 44 as a tape loop to test this without the power amp.

Once you deal with old kit (like Quad) you will find you need to make your own connectors, I woudl recomend buying neutrik plugs as they are of good quality, buy your self a variabel temparature soldering iron, soem multicore flux solder, and make sure you "tin" all serfaces before you make your interconnects.

Regards

Owen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.