Audio Power Amplifier Design book- Douglas Self wants your opinions - Page 84 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2013, 09:48 PM   #831
diyAudio Member

/OT
Agreed, blame the user instead of the tool. But it's the tool that has changed the attitude/behavior of the user.
edit: as for 'should be banned', of course I'm exaggerating a little.

Last edited by Edmond Stuart; 28th April 2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 28th April 2013, 10:01 PM   #832
blmn is offline blmn  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Stuart View Post
/OT
Agreed, blame the user instead of the tool. But it's the tool that has changed the attitude/behavior of the user.
I don´t think so Edmond, your neighbor/friend could use a telephone, or had tried to knock your door or anything else to contact you and call the police/firemen in the same way, with the same results. Actually the cell phone amplifies the illusion of "being accessible all the times", but even in this case everybody knows that the batteries can be discharged sometimes. It´s not perfect as all of us...

regards,
Old 28th April 2013, 10:51 PM   #833
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Society lurches from one gadget or "thing" craze to the next, over and over again; it's the ongoing desire to always have the latest toy, be in the "in" crowd. Trouble is, people then start to depend on it in various ways before the mechanism is truly mature, with all sorts of mini disasters ensuing ...

As a prime example, just consider MS Windows ...

Last edited by fas42; 28th April 2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 28th April 2013, 11:33 PM   #834
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Stuart View Post
Even more off topic:
I am also going out to buy me a beer, though for another reason. When I came home, there was an ambulance car parked in front of my home. I asked what's going on here? Nothing, just a false alarm. Then I discovered that my front door banged open by the police because somebody (a she, who else) had told them I might have got a heart attack or so. Why was that? Because, while I was sitting in the train and had left my cellphone at home, I was incommunicado for a few hours. Damage: about 1000 euro. Courtesy of the modern society who's completely addicted to these stupid and heavily misused gadgets and starts to panic when someone is incommunicado for a couple of hours. Cellphones should be banned, all of them and forever.
Amen.
Hey, look on the bright side. At least there's one person looking after your back!

Old 1st May 2013, 09:58 AM   #835
diyAudio Member

I've started a new thread on TPC vs TMC vs 'pure Cherry'
  • I hope yus gurus will use it as a base point for some of the ‘compensation’ discussions in the threads on Bob & Doug’s books.
  • I’m also hoping Bob & Doug will be encouraged to do more ‘real life’ work on ‘pure Cherry’ rather than declare it unworkable.
Old 1st May 2013, 01:53 PM   #836
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

And OT political posts have been removed. Please keep things technical and to the topic.
Old 11th May 2013, 04:52 PM   #837
xavirom is offline xavirom  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Any edition in Spanish please!!!!!!
Old 9th June 2013, 02:02 PM   #838
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasSelf View Post
That resistor was pure dim-wittedness on my part. The original idea was to protect the circuitry if the CCS failed short-circuit; actually very unlikely. The disadvantage is that the voltage drop across the resistor means that when you are variac-ing up the supply from zero the amplifier will not work until the rails reach some +/-9V. By that time damage may have been done if there is a fault. Without the resistor, you can get a visibly good sinewave with only say +/-3V and the operation is much safer. This is dealt with on p511 of the 5th edition. I hope I have by now removed all those resistors.

Douglas, another resistor that I hope you get rid of is the one in series with the base of the controlling transistor in your amplified negative feedback current source.

This resistor needlessley reduces the loop gain local to the current source and, unless I am mistaken, gives no compensating benefits.

Secondly, I fail to appreciate your apparent aversion to using independently biased current sources for the input stage and the second stage. I think two wholly independent amplified negative feedback current sources should be used to eliminate any possibility of modulation of the the first stage source by the second stage source. The extra cost is exceedingly trivial.

Last edited by michaelkiwanuka; 9th June 2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 9th June 2013, 07:27 PM   #839
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkiwanuka View Post
I think two wholly independent amplified negative feedback current sources should be used to eliminate any possibility of modulation of the the first stage source by the second stage source. The extra cost is exceedingly trivial.
The extra cost is certainly very small, though I don't know if it counts as trivial. Certainly a perfectly sound idea.
Old 9th June 2013, 07:27 PM   #840
diyAudio Member

Just to let you all know that the contents of the Sixth Edition of Audio Power Amplifier Design were finally fixed some 10 days ago. It'surprising how late you can leave it these days.

It will be published on 1st July.

My grateful thanks to everyone who made a positive contribution to this thread.

Hide this!Advertise here!