Audio Power Amplifier Design book- Douglas Self wants your opinions - Page 38 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2013, 11:11 PM   #371
Waly is offline Waly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Waly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
Nonsense. The two are not the same, and TPC is clearly inferior to TMC.
You obviously missed some late discussions on this topic.

Let me put it this way: show me a TMC compensated amp and I'll give you back a TPC compensated version with exactly the same performance metric (loop gain, phase margin, etc...)

It was mathematically proven that TMC is equivalent to TPC plus a lead lag phase correction. Yes, TMC could be considered as a more simple and straightforward 2nd order compensation method compared to TPC, but to claim that TMC is superior in any other way shape or form, that's totally incorrect.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 11:23 PM   #372
Bonsai is online now Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member
 
Bonsai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
No.

__________________
bonsai
Amplifier Design and Construction for MUSIC! http://hifisonix.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 07:06 AM   #373
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waly View Post
Let me put it this way: show me a TMC compensated amp and I'll give you back a TPC compensated version with exactly the same performance metric (loop gain, phase margin, etc...)

It was mathematically proven that TMC is equivalent to TPC plus a lead lag phase correction. Yes, TMC could be considered as a more simple and straightforward 2nd order compensation method compared to TPC, but to claim that TMC is superior in any other way shape or form, that's totally incorrect.
I assume you refer to the work by the esteemed "Megajocke"?
This is a very ingenious analysis but not a mathematical proof.
It is based on approximations such as that the IPS has infinite bandwidth and no phase shift.
Probably more important is that it considers only transfer function and not what Bode called "sensitivity" (I think it would be better called desensitivity since it is the factor by which the sensitivity is reduced).
Usually the Return Ratio and the (de)sensitivity are equal but this is not inevitable, which is precisely why Bode created the two distinct terms.
I think they are not equal in this case and that TMC can do better on this metric.
But I would like to learn more. Perhaps after criticism of Mike's repeated assertions without evidence, now Bonsai can contribute his own analysis?

Best wishes
David
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 09:33 AM   #374
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cacak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post

I will just add that, in all analog mixing desks i had modified, there is a great improvement, in the mixing bus input stages, to swap to current feed-back OPAs.
.

A number of people noticed great improvement when CF opamps are used for summing amplifiers in mixing consoles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 09:59 AM   #375
Bonsai is online now Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member
 
Bonsai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
I assume you refer to the work by the esteemed "Megajocke"?
This is a very ingenious analysis but not a mathematical proof.
It is based on approximations such as that the IPS has infinite bandwidth and no phase shift.
Probably more important is that it considers only transfer function and not what Bode called "sensitivity" (I think it would be better called desensitivity since it is the factor by which the sensitivity is reduced).
Usually the Return Ratio and the (de)sensitivity are equal but this is not inevitable, which is precisely why Bode created the two distinct terms.
I think they are not equal in this case and that TMC can do better on this metric.
But I would like to learn more. Perhaps after criticism of Mike's repeated assertions without evidence, now Bonsai can contribute his own analysis?

Best wishes
David
Why? Why? Surely I can also just go on pounding away, saying that I am right and then I will have proven my point! Or, do I really have to get busy on the simulator?
__________________
bonsai
Amplifier Design and Construction for MUSIC! http://hifisonix.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 11:24 AM   #376
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chigwell, Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
A monologue with the occasional word in bold does not constitute proof, as of course we are seeing in that other discussion.

Now, repeat after me

TPC does not equal TMC
TMC is better than TPC
VFA does not equal CFA
CFA is great for audio

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a ......
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 12:20 PM   #377
Bonsai is online now Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member
 
Bonsai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
Positively Rumsfeldian.
__________________
bonsai
Amplifier Design and Construction for MUSIC! http://hifisonix.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 12:48 PM   #378
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chigwell, Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waly View Post
...show me a TMC compensated amp and I'll give you back a TPC compensated version with exactly the same performance metric (loop gain, phase margin, etc...)
True!
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 01:10 PM   #379
Waly is offline Waly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Waly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
I assume you refer to the work by the esteemed "Megajocke"?
This is a very ingenious analysis but not a mathematical proof.
A Canadian good friend of mine (but not so esteemed here) reached exactly the same results using a star-triangle transformation of the TMC feedback network. Now, if that's not mathematical proof, then I don't know what that is.

In fact, my offer to provide a TPC version with exactly the same performance metric is based on his work. Calculating the equivalent TPC network RC values takes about 5 minutes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 01:48 PM   #380
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waly View Post
...friend of mine ...reached exactly the same results using a star-triangle transformation of the TMC feedback network. Now, if that's not mathematical proof, then I don't know what that is.
A star-delta transform seemed more robust to me too, so that's what I used myself.
But our results, or perhaps interpretations, seem to differ a little. Can you post your friend's results?
Quote:
...my offer to provide a TPC version with exactly the same performance metric is based on his work. Calculating the equivalent TPC network RC values takes about 5 minutes.
A worked example would help too, can you post one?

Best wishes
David

PS. Nice to read a post with a hint of actual substantiation.

Last edited by Dave Zan; 1st April 2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The design of active crossovers- Douglas Self wants your opinions DouglasSelf Analog Line Level 283 12th August 2014 11:01 AM
Comments on Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook by Douglas Self Samuel Groner Solid State 68 16th March 2013 10:26 PM
Douglas Self's Active Crossovers book forr Analog Line Level 8 31st December 2010 05:20 PM
New Douglas Self Book blmn Solid State 7 22nd July 2009 06:00 PM
book-audio power amplifier by Douglas Self mikee12345 Solid State 8 16th November 2003 01:16 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:16 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2