Audio Power Amplifier Design book- Douglas Self wants your opinions - Page 116 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2013, 05:44 AM   #1151
diyAudio Member

Default TMC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finch View Post
... mine turned up too...
Does he discuss TMC by that abbreviation or did he insist on his own acronym?
Does he reference Edmond Stuart's work and/or the prior Hitachi patent?

Best wishes
David
Old 2nd August 2013, 06:50 AM   #1152
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
Does he discuss TMC by that abbreviation or did he insist on his own acronym?
Does he reference Edmond Stuart's work and/or the prior Hitachi patent?....
Hi David
In a word, no. I haven't checked references to other acronyms used here, but under the subject of compensation, he uses previous terminology from articles in Jan Didden's Bookzine of input inclusive and output inclusive. The Hitachi reference is made to identify that push-pull VAS (the term "balanced VAS" has been dropped)

The treatment of the push-pull VAS in chapter 6 and elsewhere BTW, is really given some broader and more interesting coverage. That Doug Self may beg to differ in his commercial perspectives from some academic discussions here, probably makes it all the more so.
'Hope this is of some help - though perhaps DS should be the one to comment on terminology, because I think his primary readership is now non-academic.

Last edited by Ian Finch; 2nd August 2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:25 AM   #1153
diyAudio Member

Does-he presents and analyses (with no misunderstanding) current feedback topologies and advantages ?
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:49 AM   #1154
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Doubt it. He is firmly a VFA man
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:50 AM   #1155
diyAudio Member

And what about the chapter on MOSFET output stages? Have the erroneous simulations been replaced by more accurate ones, wherein the weak inversion has been taken into account?

Cheers, E.
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:16 AM   #1156
diyAudio Member

Ian .
I am dyslexic and couldn't read and write properly when 12 . I was fascinated to read of Alan Blumlein and his problems . In 2004 I got a job which demanded communication and use of the Internet . In honesty I had not written a thing in my life until then .

Going for a blood test yesterday the nurse seemed ill at ease . After some minutes I said yes Jane I remember you . Problem is she hadn't remembered me although her face said it was bothering her . At school I did everyone's maths homework and they lent me their written things to copy up . Jane was excellent at French and me not . I now speak French well enough to read stuff that interests me . Jane gave up . I feel in her half remembered thoughts her brother saying her preferred she didn't talk to me probably came back from 45 years ago . My final statement was " Jane you were a good student and very correct " . That was in front of her work colleges . She seemed genuinely surprised and a little pleased .

The point is I always thought the previous books to be excellent examples of the very best use of English . My girlfriend who is a clever bunny was taken aback when told of Jane as she knows here . She would have never guessed . Way back in time Jane was gifted and should have developed that . Me who struggled so much can not understand throwing away a gift .
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:20 PM   #1157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi David
In a word, no. I haven't checked references to other acronyms used here, but under the subject of compensation, he uses previous terminology from articles in Jan Didden's Bookzine of input inclusive and output inclusive. The Hitachi reference is made to identify that push-pull VAS (the term "balanced VAS" has been dropped)

The treatment of the push-pull VAS in chapter 6 and elsewhere BTW, is really given some broader and more interesting coverage. That Doug Self may beg to differ in his commercial perspectives from some academic discussions here, probably makes it all the more so.
'Hope this is of some help - though perhaps DS should be the one to comment on terminology, because I think his primary readership is now non-academic.

Ian , I seem to have gotten adrift with my reply and other posts .

Double VAS . Anyone want to help me with this ? It is just to stop me buying a nasty kit or using Quad 405 or Crown DC 300 .

Sound Quality Vs. Measurements
Old 3rd August 2013, 12:50 AM   #1158
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The Hitachi reference is made to identify that push-pull VAS (the term "balanced VAS" has been dropped)
I meant did he refer to the prior Hitachi patent for TMC?
In his Linear Audio article on the subject he does not reference it, or Edmond's work.
Bob Cordell properly attributes credit and it is hard to believe Self has not read that comment.
If the prior art is still omitted in the book then it makes a poor impression and would influence my purchase decision.

Best wishes
David
Old 3rd August 2013, 12:57 AM   #1159
diyAudio Member

Chapter 21 - The FET output stage, is among the shortest with the last reference from 1995. Perhaps that answers your question, Edmond.

I think Bonsai's presumption regarding CFAs is correct, Christophe.

To correct my ref. above in #1152, Chapter 7 is the VAS stage and the new and interesting material on the push-pull VAS is chapter 8. Together, these make up quite a slab of the text.

To be fair in comment, it's going to take some time to consider and compare so many aspects of audio design here that I don't have the professional background or necessary understanding to interpret on the evidence anyway. As I said, I'm steering clear.

As a DIY'er though, I know that many of us are off on some tangent of faith in ultimately inferior technologies, solely for their alleged superior subjective qualities. This distinguishes efforts as purely for our personal delectation. Many who have read DS's "slim volumes" over 17 years would have realised this is not his technical interest. FWIW, my view is that texts should indeed be restricted to convention so there is a clear fundamental basis of understanding, perhaps followed up by supplements for variations as the need, fashions and advancing technologies dictate.

It is a second, subjective level of interest that is paramount to many here but much of the pseudo-science and hearsay supporting it is highly opinionated and inconsistent. It seems that controversy and bitterness mars any debate there in that mire of personal experiences anyway.

Actually, I'd be interested to know of any author interested or capable of writing a considered text on subjective audio theory and pratice. Wouldn't you?
Old 3rd August 2013, 01:05 AM   #1160
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

It's a pity DS has not spent subsequent effort on mosfets and appears to show little interest in CFA. I get 4 ppm at 20kHz and 350 watts out in sim, and have little doubt that in practice a very good result is achievable. What's not to like about it?

Hide this!Advertise here!