What kind of switches are these? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2013, 09:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default What kind of switches are these?

I want to use a up/down counter volume knob for volume control, but what type of rotatory "switch" is it called where its continuous turn (left or right), and where turning right is a "right switch" and turning left is a "left switch" for this volume control?

I know how to describe it but I don't know what the term is for this type of volume knob.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 10:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
Max Headroom's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Rotary encoder....sends out pulses.
Research 'Gray Code' also.

  Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 11:26 PM   #3
rafjr00 is offline rafjr00  United States
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pearl River
Just need to find one that is not rotary. The Dewalt radio I have at work, the tuning knob works like you want.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 11:37 PM   #4
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Norwich, UK
yes, it's a rotary encoder. this typically requires a microcontroller being involved to count the pulses and their direction, and then control something like a programmable gain amp such as the PGA2320
  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Top quality main switches for audio-hifi comp (Rotary and Pushbutton Power Switches) tiefbassuebertr Parts 15 3rd December 2015 08:34 AM
switches JozzaG Power Supplies 4 10th February 2010 04:56 AM
Switches LizardDefence Everything Else 5 1st June 2005 08:52 PM
A simple way to create dual(or more!) rotary switches out of single rotary switches stappvargen Pass Labs 14 16th April 2004 11:33 PM
what kind of switches do you use? cowanrg Parts 2 6th August 2002 10:32 PM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:42 AM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2