Quiet amplifier - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2013, 09:35 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
I have the big Topping which is based on the TA2020. I love it, but all of the Tripath chips are getting long in the tooth. I need to get one of the new TI amps. I'll look at the suggestions above. Needs to be 20w/ch or greater.

Bob
I also have a Topping TP-60. Its most definitely a good and well made amplifier but my belief is that the Tripath chip technology is getting outdated. One comment on the TPA3116D2 evaluation module with no modifications is that it still sounds very good at very low volumes.This is usually a sign of a very good amplifier regardless of power.
Old 17th February 2013, 09:57 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up M400!

I have had some good amps like Bryston But I always heard back noise when I put my ears next to the tweeters...I never liked it , I spent around $3K in amps and "all" had back noise, do not get me wrong here, they sounded fantastic but that was one of my reason to sell them and build my own diy amp. I build many diy amps but there was something about sound quality. all this stopped when by mistake I was looking for amps using 2SK1058 outputs, since these transistors are very well known for their sonic quality. Well I found these:2sk1058 2sk2221 irfp9240 mosfet amplifier schematic I gave a shot and I build the M400 and I was shocked how good it sounded and all what they said about these amps are TRUE!.I have build so far four of M400 amps and one T300 from them too, but I like the M400 better and I always get the same fantastic sound, I put the tweeters "touching" my ears and I do not hear a fart as a back noise. I can put these M400 next to "any" Bryston amps and the M400 will give a fight with one hand down . so far it is the "only" diy amp that I am sure it will give me what I look for.
Old 17th February 2013, 10:08 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctess5 View Post
I am currently using a bit of a hotrod 41hz amp-6 basic. A friend of mine made it, it's got some high quality caps installed and stuff. It's pretty good but I can still hear a bit of a buzz, and the wiring looks like it should be lower noise.
Could be power supply artifacts. The neat thing about the Topping TP-60 is that it does not use a SMPS. Instead it has two large toroidal transformers. It has just the slightest hint of 60Hz hum. Gives it a bit of a tubey sound.

Bob
Old 17th February 2013, 11:33 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
Could be power supply artifacts. The neat thing about the Topping TP-60 is that it does not use a SMPS. Instead it has two large toroidal transformers. It has just the slightest hint of 60Hz hum. Gives it a bit of a tubey sound.

Bob
Power supplies are hotly debated when used with digital amplifiers or any others for that matter. Some say that SMPS are fine. Some like linear regulated power suppliers. Others say to use only linear regulated power supplies in a different container attached with an umbilical cord. Even others say that converting AC to DC is evil and use nothing but batteries. Its very easy to just buy a SMPS because they are readily available but sound quality could be greatly compromised.
Old 18th February 2013, 04:26 AM   #15
studio is offline studio  United States
diyAudio Member

'what they said about these amps are TRUE!.I have build so far four of M400 amps and one T300 from them too, but I like the M400 better and I always get the same fantastic sound, I put the tweeters "touching" my ears and I do not hear a fart as a back noise. I can put these M400 next to "any" Bryston amps and the M400 will give a fight with one hand down . so far it is the "only" diy amp that I am sure it will give me what I look for.[/QUOTE]

Hey Lanchile, i just got back to "Diy" after a long break..I had spent more time in the past building almost every schematic amplifiers i could find in the web than listening to music! I finally settled with a musical fidelity amplifier and shelved my soldering iron. The sad thing is, i have not powered up this amplifier for the last 6mths,..i never knew the reasons why.

Out of boredom and many good things i 'd heard and read about T300,
I finally got a pair in my mail box. The moment i fired it up, I am hooked to music again! The first thing i noticed was the realism of brass instruments and lower frequency response. I could tell the difference because I played the clarinet when i was in high school and now i have an acoustic piano and taylor guitars sitting in my home. I used to think that recording put emphasis on vocals and the backing instruments behind.
T300 changes that! With it i could hear every single nuance, expression, variation in color and tone,. Very precise reverb that gives an accurate staging,. i could now tell the positions of the vocals, drummer, keyboardist and bassist in a recording!

Which input cap are you using? The input cap that came with the kit seems
like a power supply capacitor.
Old 19th February 2013, 05:12 AM   #16
kctess5 is offline kctess5  United States
diyAudio Member

I might have to try out one of those H/D amps. They look pretty nice. Higher power than I needed but that's ok. They are a bit outside my price range for now, but maybe I will be able to swing it at some point.
Old 19th February 2013, 06:17 AM   #17
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

A compact option for tubes/valves:

Appj PA0901A EL84 12AX7 Mini Tube Amp Original Miniwatt N3 2012 New Version | eBay

I have heard the Mini-Watt N3 and it was very sweet sounding. Played well (and pretty loud) with plenty of detail with the Fostex FE166EN which is around 94dB efficient IIRC. The Mini-Watt N3 came with a Tungsol 12AX7 and a pair of Sovtek EL84.

Have no experience with the APPJ amp above but ordered one and expecting to receive in April.
Old 19th February 2013, 05:03 PM   #18
kctess5 is offline kctess5  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
A compact option for tubes/valves:

Appj PA0901A EL84 12AX7 Mini Tube Amp Original Miniwatt N3 2012 New Version | eBay

I have heard the Mini-Watt N3 and it was very sweet sounding. Played well (and pretty loud) with plenty of detail with the Fostex FE166EN which is around 94dB efficient IIRC. The Mini-Watt N3 came with a Tungsol 12AX7 and a pair of Sovtek EL84.

Have no experience with the APPJ amp above but ordered one and expecting to receive in April.
Can you let me know how it sounds and what the noise floor is like?
Old 19th February 2013, 06:40 PM   #19
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I've moved this over to the Solid State forum... seein' as its all about amps.

Hide this!Advertise here!