Common mode filter choke...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
JoJoD,

those are very good for blocking common noise (i.e. noise which is present on both wires).
You can use them in your mains AC line input, or if they are beefy enough at the secondary of your transformer before the rectifier.
Make shure the coil doesn't get saturated by to much current going through, as it won't work anymore. Because of this it is not recommanded to use it with DC current.

Dick.

djmiddelkoop,

Thanks for the idea. So I can use it for AC mains conditioninig. They look like this...

Attachments

• chokes_large.jpg
    chokes_large.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 454
JoJod,

no don't rewind these chokes but use them in your AC line filter as well !
For instance, put then in series with each half of the commonmode choke or after your rectifier diodes for noise surpressing.
As you may understand these chokes work only with high frequencies usually those out of the audio bandwith.

Dick.

carefull!

JojoD818 said:
Hi,

I also have a bunch of those small toroidal looking chokes that came from pc psu. I was hoping I can re-wound it and make use of it in filtering mains or my rails just before the bridge rectifier.

JojoD

JojoD,
you must ensure that those chokes are really meant for common mode filtering :att'n: Check the winding directions on both coils on that torroid. If they are not wound for common mode use, then the flux in the ferrite core would cause huge currents to flow in the core, heating it up and cracking it. The heat could burn the insulation off the windings as well, and cause a mains short. I know because this is exactly what happened to me! I wound the coils for a common mode choke the wrong way and had some nice fireworks :att'n:

As I understand it, a common mode choke must have negligible flux in the core during normal operation (i.e. the fluxes from the two windings must cancel each other). Only in the presence of common mode noise is some net flux generated in the core. What this means essentially is that the choke acts as a short for differential mode AC, and a high inductance for common mode AC line noise, thus allowing it to pass the normal (diff-mode) AC and block the common mode noise.

- Ashwin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.