How to control 6 inputs with 1 pot???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I also wanted to do something like you are doing. I wanted to use a digital volume control or maybe one of those digital pots but they are not very linear so I drew this up one day when I was bored in class, tell me if it makes sense.

Attachments

• attenuator.txt
    559 bytes · Views: 176
Solid Snake said:
I also wanted to do something like you are doing. I wanted to use a digital volume control or maybe one of those digital pots but they are not very linear so I drew this up one day when I was bored in class, tell me if it makes sense.
Good Lord man!! Get yourself a circuit drawing program!!! :faint:

As for a simple solution...find someone to sell you a 8 module Clairostat, like this: http://www.potentiometer.com/partdata.cfm?partno=389&session=2003112110113389

MS Paint to the rescue...

Attachments

• attenuator.jpg
    attenuator.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 461
No I haven't tried breadboarding this. It seems that a 470-1K ohm resistor on the input should work okay. For the ATT resistor you may want to try something like 100K, you can play with different values but don't go too low or it may burn up. You can use a 2N2222 and it's complement, since the signal doesn't actually go through the transistor I don't think it matters much. If you try this, let me know how it works for you.

Another option not mentioned yet is the use of toothed wheels and connect as many potmeters as you like. This option gives also the possibility to choose different quality potmeters for the main L/R channel and the "effect" channels.

Use toothed wheels with as many teeth as possible for the wheel diameter you can handle. Take care for the reversal of direction by mounting every second potmeter mechanicaly reversed as well.
This "simple" mechanical solution migth even offer a better channel separation. Or is usable for a "passive" upgrade for an existing stereo preamp.

success!

Ward

Great idea but...

EDUM,

Using gears for controlling several pots has already been in my mind but I am not a "mechanical" person and implementation could be extremely difficult however doable. But still, the idea is very good.

I just had this weird idea!!!!!!

Consider a resistive network (in series) of resistors with one end as the input and the other end connected to ground, with a CD4066 (bilateral switch??) I can select where to tap for the output using dc voltage right? Now isn't that an excellent idea?:att'n: Maybe a patent? :D

I sure hope that I can "dream" of a solution in the design tonight.

Good Night,
JojoD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.