audio amplifier bandwidth - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2013, 12:07 PM   #11
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

high Q uF is unreasonable load for a audio amplifier - not even seen driving ESL step up tansformer primary where the winding series R and leakage L decouple the panel C above ~50 kHz

cable C for most domestic setups, conventional cable will be < 50 pF/ft

with Spice you should be able to measure with filtering/Zobel in place - just measure the right spots, remember you can do real world impractical calculations, normalization with most Spice' viewer waveform arithmetic

Last edited by jcx; 14th February 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 14th February 2013, 04:55 PM   #12
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

" . . . high Q uF is unreasonable load for a audio amplifier."

Precisely. That's why you need to do it to see the limits of the amp.

I agree that the cable inductance will help to isolate the capacitive load, but I see too many designs where people chase low THD at the expense of stability margin, which in fact is a significantly more important parameter.
Old 15th February 2013, 01:09 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I thought maybe values in the uF range were to verify amp survivability to a shorted tweeter with such value capacitors in the cross over?

Thanks
-Antonio
Old 15th February 2013, 06:00 AM   #14
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

loading without the output inductor in place is going to "break" perfectly safe circuits

you can add actual delay to a amp sim with the transmisson line element - rarely seen

had to resort to added delay in the "TMC" debate Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

the standard frequency domain gain and phase margins work very well for common linear amps - again if you know where to measure
Old 4th March 2013, 05:44 PM   #15
The Dastardly Dad of Three
diyAudio Member

Wow ... A 108 page article ! I'm nearly halfway through and I haven't even reached the power amp section yet - fabulous write up ))
Old 4th March 2013, 09:30 PM   #16
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi everybody I have finally completed the project tell me what do you think about it:

Design of a power HI-FI system
I dissagree with the bi or tri-amp situation for home HI-FI. That should be more suited to a vehicle where listening space is limited. It is too common now with X.x stereo models with all the satilites and seperate sub. Cheap amps and low power speakers = more profit! I think the speaker(s) should be a single full range load on the amplifier. The amplifier should be able to drive that load without issues. The less processing of the signal the better IMO. Unfourtunately most amplifer circuits are not capable in one way or another of doing it without some sort of coloration. It is part of why there are so many people out there making thier own designs.

Hide this!Advertise here!