Sony AX380 and JX380 issues - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2013, 07:55 AM   #11
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Remotes vary as to how difficult they are to access. In theory they all clip/prise/unprise apart, in practice its very very difficult to get it right first time without marking them unless you are lucky. Try it gently looking for clips and claws to release.

Cleaning... if its a rubber keypad then wash it in warm water with a drop of detergent in it and leave to dry. Also wash the whole PCB either using the same method or using foam cleaner and then rinse. Use a soft paintbrush and really clean it all up. Rinse, dry with paper particularly around and under any parts that trap water (IC's) and leave to dry.

If the rubber is sticky/wet it may not be spillage as everyone always seems to assume but plasticiser from the rubber keypad... a weird but known issue. Just wash it.
Old 22nd July 2013, 08:20 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the head's up! Now that I know that they can usually be taken apart I shall have at it.

Hopefully the remote is the only thing wrong because I don't have a portable power supply like the OP with which to revive the volume control motor.
Old 22nd July 2013, 11:06 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Well shoot, I tried opening it up and cleaning it but when I put it back together even more buttons didn't work. I decided to make the leap and pay 17 dollars total for a refurbished one. I don't like being wasteful but c'est la vie.
Old 22nd July 2013, 11:39 AM   #14
diyAudio Moderator

A 9 volt battery across the motor may well work but make sure you isolate the motor connections first.

If the remotes still playing up then have another go. If cleaning wasn't the issue then look for other problems such as cracked print etc. Trace where the pads connect to and bridge the points on the board directly to see if it transmits.
Old 25th July 2013, 01:38 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Fortunately for me, the motor is just fine, got a new remote in the mail and just tried it and it works without a hitch.

I have the same radio issue as the OP though, so I'll have to take a look at that next. Cheers!
Old 21st October 2013, 08:52 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Guess I should have posted back earlier.. Replacing the cap did fix the chanel preset issue and everything has been working great.
Old 21st October 2013, 08:56 AM   #17
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks for the update. Great to hear it's all fixed
Old 21st October 2013, 09:32 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Just a few questions about the cap. Is it relatively easy to gain access to it? Newb question but is soldering required?

Also, Breeves, have you experienced that the AX380 seems to be hit or miss in terms of holding its preset for which input you choose? That one doesn't really matter as much because you just press one more button on the remote control but I do wonder if it uses that same exact cap...
Old 21st October 2013, 10:11 AM   #19
diyAudio Moderator

They are soldered. No idea on access but it shouldn't be difficult. There's nothing unique about the cap, its just a "big value in a small size" designed to maintain 5 volts across the memory. Anything that fits and that is in the right ballpark value wise is OK as a replacement.
Old 24th November 2013, 12:34 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hey, I replaced the same cap and it looks like the memory now holds!

I do have a question though, when I turn it on, the receiver itself, not the output signal, but the receiver has a slight hum to it. Is that normal?

Hide this!Advertise here!