Krell KSA250 bias

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I attempted to change the bias of my version 3 KSA250 (~118 ma/device) to have the same lower level (~85 ma/device) as my version 2 amp by changing 4 resistors on the output board near the bias transistor. While the level dropped to ~105 ma/device there was some instability with the bias relay and/or input relay cycling back and forth with no input on the channel (I could not tell which relay was clicking as I only heard the sound). Looking at the input driver board of each amp a little closer (I should have done this first) revealed that the design of the version 2 does not include the 1.235V zener reference that the version 3 does. Looks like I will have to live with the higher operating temperature and power consumption.

One Channel of my KSA-150 do not get warm to touch, measure the emitter resisitor voltage only 30mA, but the other channel is 100mA. I think there is some problem in the auto bias circuit, I know you are familiar in it. Do you have the circuit layout of the biasing circuit or do you have any idea to fix it.

The bias circuit consist of a optocoupler and a biasing transistor locate at output board, but I think there might be a sensing circuit locate at the driver board, is it right.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.