Regulated power supply for class A ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2013, 05:33 PM   #1
alibear is offline alibear  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Regulated power supply for class A ?

Hi all, what views are there on using a regulated supply or capacitance multiplier for the supply of a class A amplifier (Krell KSA50 Clone ) as oposed to large value caps alone.
Thanks
Alan
Old 29th January 2013, 05:38 PM   #2
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
IMHO, you can get the benefits of a regulated supply by using it for the driver stage, and using unregulated supply for the output stage. I like shunt regulators designed by some dude named Salas.
Old 29th January 2013, 05:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The generally agreed view is that there is little point doing it not to mention that it's a very serious undertaking.

A high performance regulator for the front end, otoh, seems certainly like a good idea.
Old 29th January 2013, 05:52 PM   #4
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
The generally agreed view is that there is little point doing it not to mention that it's a very serious undertaking.
Then I disagree with the general view...

Due to the high continuous current the ripple in a class A amplifier really needs a regulator.

Already in 1978 I built the first capacitor multiplier.
The class A amplifier I had built had a faint hum with my +100dB sensitive speakers. The surprise was big when the capacitor multiplier was added...
A - at the time unexpected major enhancement in fidelity...
Old 29th January 2013, 06:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Class A Regulator

Are you sure a capacitance multiplier is a regulator!!??
Old 29th January 2013, 06:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies.
Sandyhooker, please read my post properly.
Alan
Old 29th January 2013, 07:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'm a bit confused here.

Wouldn't you always want to use a regulated power supply? What is the disadvantage here beside more parts and the inefficiencies related to linear power supplies?

And not using a regulation would make your bias point subject to transformer load regulation.
Old 29th January 2013, 08:02 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Fusion, thanks for your reply. I understand the advantages of less ripple and a regulated voltage, but what I am trying to assertain is the audable implacations e.g what sounds the best. By the way the front end will have it's own regulated supply, my question relates solely to the driver/output stages.
Thanks
Alan
Old 29th January 2013, 08:16 PM   #9
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post

A high performance regulator for the front end, otoh, seems certainly like a good idea.
haha, I think its more the serious undertaking than general agreement, as i've only seen and heard much better results. people make up reasons why its not good because they dont want or cant afford to do it....

both can be good, but take a look at the wire power amp thread for the insanely clean transient response and low noise with DPS600

it has to be fast though, basically building a second set of class A amps to power your class A amps. possibly more important for Class AB than Class A though IMO
Old 29th January 2013, 08:52 PM   #10
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
A regulated supply isn't a big undertaking! You can just buy a regulated SMPS for $50 and be done with it. I use them for my Gainclone and Class D amps.

And yes, it sounds better and less background hiss than an unregulated linear supply.

Hide this!Advertise here!