Weird Opamp Failure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the last one or two months I have failed many amp projects. This is mostly related to opamp based or chip amplifiers. Simple circuits, but very frustrating in the troubleshooting.

And I'm a bit scared working with laterals right now :(

The failures started to happen at the same time I replaced my solder to a new one. The body of the solder was in intermittent contact with the 230V power line. Initially I allowed that for "shock therapy" but after I couldn't prevent myself from screaming, I fixed it :wave2s:

In the last 2 days I worked on an integrated amplifier (with 2 dual opamps). Strange issues happened. Early troubleshooting suggested that the second opamp must have one channel died. Replaced the opamp and sound came from both channels. Good.

Not really. Things were wrong. My usual troubleshooting logic couldn't solve the mystery well. I couldn't understand how with one channel input the sound came from both channels. I didn't want to sleep before I fixed that. I was confused because I didn't expect this kind of failure with opamps.

The first non-inverting input (pin#3) died, but the signal came into the second input (pin#5) generated output in both output pins (pin#1 and #7). I needed to make sure that my eyes could see everything well, then to replace the opamp. But same problem with the second opamp. Both are LF356N.

Crazy. Terrible experience. But at least I know that I was right, that I couldn't live with opamp sound, even as a buffer.

Last edited:
Yeah terrible product. A fake one may be. Long time ago Kenmaster and Sellery products were good enough, now like sheet.

I couldn't easily replace it because the best solder pin (yes, the pin) I can find is the small diameter one. But better solder build usually use bigger diameter solder pins.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.