Clean Those Balanced XLRs! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2013, 11:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Clean Those Balanced XLRs!

So, my left channel was getting wonkey, so I turned the balance to the left and the mid-treble unit sounded BAD. It had been going on for a few days. Originally, I just moved the connectors in and out a few times which didn't help, and that made me think that it wasn't the connection!
So yesterday, I turned everything off, took a shot glass with 91% alcohol, and a pipe cleaner. My crossover (Ultradrive) only takes balanced, XLRs. So with the pipe cleaner, which has a very thin wire running through the middle of it, I dipped it in the alcohol. I then ran it back and forth through the little pin holes where the three balanced pins on each connector plug in to. Of course I also cleaned the pins, and now it works fine, and I got my gorgeous mid-treble back with no balance problems. To any fellow audiophile who reads this, it might be a good idea to do the same. I waited WAY to long in between cleanings.
Here is a link to the pipe cleaners thin enough to go in the little pin holes.
Amazon.com: Dills Bristle Pipe Cleaners: Everything Else
Dont forget to turn everything off, and make sure that they are dry.
Old 29th January 2013, 03:59 AM   #2
dheming is offline dheming  United States
diyAudio Member

I would suggest using pure isopropyl alcohol instead of rubbing alcohol that contains water and other additives.
Old 29th January 2013, 04:06 AM   #3
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Agree on the cleaning. In the pro sound biz I've often used a 22 caliber gun brush to clean 1/4" connectors. It can make a big difference. Alcohol or deoxIT
Old 29th January 2013, 05:03 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Cool. Keep the suggestions coming. I am going to be moving everything around soon, so then I will get EVERY connection RCA and XLR.

Hide this!Advertise here!