Clean Those Balanced XLR’s!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, my left channel was getting wonkey, so I turned the balance to the left and the mid-treble unit sounded BAD. It had been going on for a few days. Originally, I just moved the connectors in and out a few times which didn't help, and that made me think that it wasn't the connection!:confused:
So yesterday, I turned everything off, took a shot glass with 91% alcohol, and a pipe cleaner. My crossover (Ultradrive) only takes balanced, XLR’s. So with the pipe cleaner, which has a very thin wire running through the middle of it, I dipped it in the alcohol. I then ran it back and forth through the little pin holes where the three balanced pins on each connector plug in to. Of course I also cleaned the pins, and now it works fine, and I got my gorgeous mid-treble back with no balance problems. To any fellow audiophile who reads this, it might be a good idea to do the same. I waited WAY to long in between cleanings.
Here is a link to the pipe cleaners thin enough to go in the little pin holes.
Amazon.com: Dills Bristle Pipe Cleaners: Everything Else
Don’t forget to turn everything off, and make sure that they are dry. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.