can a class D amp gives enough dynamic sound as a good class AB?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I see amplifiers like crown rated as 2000W into 4 ohms especially crown Dsi 6000 series amp with input current ratings as low as 11.75Amps.

I really doubt that do class D amps gives enough striking transients and dynamics as very good class AB 1200W into 8 ohm with 7KVA trafo? in bridged config?

Let's compare apples and... Melons?

A Class D-amp with resourses equal to what You give a Class AB-amp will have just as good as, or even better dynamic sound. This simply due to the fact that the Class D-amp delivers more than 80% of the power out to the speakers. Class AB quite i bit less.

If you read through the numerous threads about Class D and Class A/AB amplifiers you will find that there are two schools. Some prefer the older Class A /AB and some Class D.

Each have their merits and also their drawbacks. You need to try them to see which suits you and your set-up.

You simply can't generalise to ask is one better than the other - there are good examples of both and also bad examples of both.

Last edited:
There is a company that I've seen on E-Bay that sell High-End Class D amplifiers at ridiculous prices (high prices).

Some people have come back as disappointed with their product.

I have read that some Class D amplifiers can be choosy about what they are driven by and what they are driving. How much of that is down to their design, their nature or just people refusing to move on - I'm sorry I don't know.

What Nigel is saying above comes about from the early days of Class D. Things have moved on considerably since then.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.