Surge Current

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't see any forum for this problem, but it involves my Solid State pwr. amps, so I'll try it here 1st.

I have 5 x Yamaha MX-1000 power Amps. If they are all turned on at once, the Surge Current in the amps, trips the 20 Amp. ckt. breaker in the main Breaker Panel. If I turn them on individually, they will run fine (even Very Loudly) on the same 20 amp. ckt. breaker.

So what I need is a Line Conditioner(?) that will allow me to program a different AC Turn On Delay, for each amp.

Years ago I remember that a very expensive AC conditioner could do that (don't remember the brand or model), But it only had programable turn on delay, for 2 outlets. I need to sequence delay AC power to 5 pwr. amps.

I could build it myself, if I could find a schematic or PC board.

Any Ideas?

MLStrand56

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Ideas... use a high wattage low value resistor in series with the mains that is shorted out after a few 10's or 100's of milliseconds. Similar idea to the standard slow start for toroidal trannys.

Depends how you turn them all on of course... I'm assuming you throw one switch and they all power up.

A Few Seconds

Ideas... use a high wattage low value resistor in series with the mains that is shorted out after a few 10's or 100's of milliseconds. Similar idea to the standard slow start for toroidal trannys.

I'm assuming you throw one switch and they all power up.
Actually I need a power up delay of several seconds per amp.

Yes, I turn them on with a single switch. When I lived in USA, I wired a 30 amp service to the Amp Rack, & used a 120V Contactor to switch the 30 amp service. Now I live in Philippines & rent a house. The whole house only has 5 ckt. breakers (very common here)

MLStrand56

1) just turn them on sequentially, by hand.
Not that hard to do.

2) build a board with 5 555 timers, with varying delays (5/10/15 ... seconds) each driving a 220V rated relay with enough current capability to turn your amps on safely.
Plug your amps in the outlets in this controller, and leave them always on.
Now your On-Off switch is the small one which powers the controller/sequential delay board.

Something like this will do for 1 stage.
Repeat as needed
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

For a fuller discussion, how_to_calculate and other cool LM555 applications:
http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LM555.html

Last edited:
555 timers vs. Delay

build a board with 5 555 timers, with varying delays (5/10/15 ... seconds) each driving a 220V rated relay with enough current capability to turn your amps on safely.
Plug your amps in the outlets in this controller, and leave them always on.
Now your On-Off switch is the small one which powers the controller/sequential delay board.

The 555 timers could be controled by the Master On/Off switch!!!

I'm Intreguied(sp?)!!!!!

MLStrand56

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Why don't you try the approach I mentioned in post #2

20 amp breaker, 230 volt mains. Try something like a 10 to 33 ohm 50 or 100 watt resistor. Like these. No heatsink needed.

HSC10010RJ - TE CONNECTIVITY / CGS - RESISTOR, WW 100W 5% 10R | CPC

You then have a relay to short the resistor out after a few tenths of milliseconds. That can be one simple 555 timer type circuit and one tiny tiny transformer to power it. Put it all in a box in series with the mains feed to the amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.