build stereo amp in Altec 1590c chassis?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi, my header probably says it all. The 1590c is not working and wouldn't be very useful to me even if it did. Only 25V and 70V outputs, poor low end freq response and that output transformer weighs a ton. However, it's a beautiful chassis. The power transformer puts out 25 volts AC without load. It's physically large and was designed for 200 watts so I imagine it can supply a lot of current. Nice large heat sinks. --- So can anyone recommend a fairly simple design to go in there? 50 watts a channel would be fine. I don't have real high audio standards for my application. I'm moderately experienced, I've built quite a few tube amps and tube preamps from scratch, but I'm no engineer, not at all. I'd like all the parts to be easy to get. A kit would be fine with me. Any ideas? Oh, and space is no issue with this chassis. I should admit that I currently have two smaller Altec amps above my workbench (I'm a guitar repairman) and my customers are impressed by the big Altec green. Honestly, they're pretty mid-rangey, but people hear with their eyes.
thanks,
Keith (oh, and I apologize, I just posted a similar post in chip amps before realizing this chassis, transformer and heat sink would probably be more appropriate in discrete components.)

Hi,

Clone boards from ebay are probably your best bet. Many of them will
run off lower voltage than specified. Should be no reason you need
a new PSU as well as boards but they are available too. Again many
of them will work absolutely fine at lower voltage.

200W and 25-0-25VAC indicates good load tolerance, so avoid chip
amplifiers and go for discrete with good known current capability.

rgds, sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.