Car Audio Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know of a good solution for a 12V car cigarette lighter powered amplifier? (either DIY or commercial)

An age old issue I've been trying to deal with is driving music through the aux jack on my 2008 BMW 328xi with my Galaxy Nexus which does not produce loud enough of audio; annoyingly the aux and 12V power jack on this car are located in the center compartment where there isn't a whole lot of space to put anything big. (most longer car plugs will prevent the compartment from being able to close) I tried using a bluetooth receiver from Griffin ( Amazon.com: Griffin Technology BlueTrip AUX for iPhone and Smartphones: Cell Phones & Accessories ) and it was perfect form factor-wise but it was even quieter than my phone and it also completely killed the bass so I returned that within a day.

The only product I've found so far that matches the overall objective is: 12 Volt Boostaroo Revolution® Audio Amplifier & Sound Enhancer
I've been trying to look around and see if there is anything I can either buy or DIY - any ideas?

You probably dont need a power amplifier at all, just some gain on the output of your phone before you feed it into the aux input of your car's audio system.

In that case all you need is a dual opamp, which you can run quite easily off of a single 12v supply

A circuit arrangement like this would be sufficient. Any dual opamp would do such as a 4558, tl072 or ne5532. As shown, it would provide 2x gain (6dB). For ~3x gain (10dB) change R4 to 4K7.

Attachments

• singlepre.png
    singlepre.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 143
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.