Strange hissing audible NOISE on amplifiers Right Channel output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently I bought a high end stereo amplifier from the ES series made by Sony in the 80's: the sony TA-N55 ES weighing 10Kg. After connecting it to the speakers I turned it on and noticed rightaway an audible NOISE coming out of the right channel which starts loud then goes lower but remains audible and irritating. Music through the left channel sounds kristal clear and loud without any noise but the right channel's output sounds low in volumme and there is lots of noise/hiss. Even when no music is connected to the RCA connectors the amp still feeds the hiss noise on the right channel.

What's wrong with this amplifiers Right output channel?:confused:

I've found a service manual for the sony 55 ES but don't know what part I should be replacing.

Leaking capacitor or a transistor singing it's last walz.

'Would be the shortform answer.

As it varies with time, it is possible to use coolspray to find the defective component.
Turn it on, let it warm up (Hiss is low) and then blow some coolspray at one component after the other. Waiting some seconds between each component.
When the hissing is increasing again, You have found the defective component.
Let the amp heat up again, (low hiss again) and pinpoint the coolspray directly to the last component you blowed on when the hissing came. If the hissing returns again, You can be quite sure.
Change it and you should be good.

Was the bit more full answer.

Good luck.

Thanks Tandbergeren! I will try that. How does coolspray look like? do you have a picture of such a tool? I guesse I would need one with a focus narrow enough to isolate and spray only one ELKO at a time. Indeed when the amp heats up the hissing goes lower. so your guesse is that when the ELKO cools down the hissing will get higher in volume right?

Thanks agian sofar!

If u have a diagram, cross couple the input of one stage, for both channels. You will have understanding of which section the fault is.

This can be done by opening one end of a coupling capacitor or do it at volume control if possible.

Gajanan Phadte

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.