Onborad channel fuses keeps blowing on Parasound 2205 AMP - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2013, 01:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Onborad channel fuses keeps blowing on Parasound 2205 AMP

I have a parasound 2205 amp and one channel is dead.I take it a part and the 2 fuses on channel 4 board are blown.

Now all the cap looks fine, the smaller ones and the 2 big 80v 15000uf.

So I replaced the 2 fuses and plug it in and the 2 fuses blew. This is with no pre amp plugged in and no speakers plugged in, just power.

I hate to send it out for repair since it will cost a ton for shipping and I'm not sure of any repair places locally to take it too.

I'm not bad at fixes thing and soldering components on the board.

So any thought if it could be one of the 2 large caps?

thanks for any directions.
Old 14th January 2013, 07:30 PM   #2
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

Most likely the output devices and may need drivers and other parts too.
Old 30th August 2014, 07:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well those caps almost often let you see that they are dead, but check the small caramic ones, for black spots, and remove output of your transformer of the board and measure those, or if the transformer is that, the fuse will blow out(sometimes). Do they immediately blow out or after a couple of second, checked rectifier?...
Old 30th August 2014, 05:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send it to Parasound.
Old 30th August 2014, 11:50 PM   #5
dblack4 is offline dblack4  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Repaired one of these beast earlier this year. The amp is quite heavy... Picked it up for a sound with 2 blown channels. The schematic is available online, so you should start with that. Both bad channels had one shorted output device. It was easy to find the bad part with a ohm meter. Used test meter set to diode test and checked all other transistors. All tested good. You have to wonder what caused the blown output.... I moved on next to the caps. I removed all the smaller caps and checked for Capacitance & ESR. All caps tested good accept for two, with one being really bad(almost shorted). I believe the two were C34 & C37. Too be safe, I replacing all the small caps and made sure I used high temp ones for C34 & C37. One of those caps is located close to a 2 watt resistor. speaking of two watt resistors. The amp PCB has 4 two watt resistors(5.6K), R39, 40, 45 & 46. In my amp ALL of the two watt resistors were way out of tolerance. To repair the Amp I replaced ALL smaller caps(all channels), ALL 5.6k two watt resistors(all channels) and I replaced ALL non polarized caps on the protection PCB. I found bad caps on the protection PCB as well. This is in-addition to replacing the two bad output devices. I did not replace the power supply filter caps. Overall, This was allot of work. If your soldering skills aren't up to the task, don't even go there. Good luck.. Your mileage may vary.

Hide this!Advertise here!