Help me please, potentiometer problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
WD-40 will [?] soften the binder

KMossman
Yikes!
in my experience WD-40 will soften the binder that holds the carbon in the potentiometer track in place allowing them to wear prematurely!
the only time i would suggest using wd on a pot is to try and free up a shaft that's frozen in place or extremely stiff never on the carbon track.

perhaps I was clear enough

AFTER using contact cleaner, if the pot is still a problem, THEN try WD-40

I am NOT suggesting spraying WD-40 willy-nilly.

IF at that point, it did soften the binder (destroy the pot), who cares...it was already a lost cause.

and in 10 years I had yet to destroy a pot using WD-40, however I have noticed that I have to 'move' the pot a little slowly else the noise comes back - though it disappears when I go back to 'moving' it slowly.

It is a last ditch effort. It has worked several times for me...............

Last edited:
Hi gencogenco,
I am trying as well to solve a potentiometer issue like you are trying here. Did you solved it ? In the same time there might be a little off topic but I would like to know your symptom details since there are not stated in the begining post.

thank you for answers I love you my friends I found the wiring diagram 5pcs Alps Genuine Motorized Potentiometer 100K RK168 Audio | eBay
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi guys I bought this....ALPS RK16812MG 2-fach Motorpotentiometer log. o linear 10K oder 100K Poti | eBay ... But I can not make it work, I applied this scheme, but the pot at work, while pot B, remains fixed on the 100k does not change by turning ... ..a few do not understand can help

The Left input cable goes to J2 and J6
The Right input cable goes to J3 and J6
The Left output cable comes from J7 and J6
The Right output cable comes from J5 and J6

That is 8 wires that need to be connected.

thanks for your help now more clear .... the pattern is seen from under the pot? .. Figure

9c5a5510.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.