Volume pot repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I am repairing a Toshiba sc-330 power amp which has an issue with the left channel volume pot.

It only works when in the middle position around no 5. If I turn it to a position around 6-8 it will work but requires gentle touching to get it to stay on. After 8 it wont wont work at all. I discovered that pulling the knob out will make it work in any position but the sound goes off again when you let go.

I have tried spraying a little switch cleaner into the pots whilst turning around etc as per suggestions in other threads, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The new thread :)

Check the soldering on the pot leads first. It might help to see a close up picture of the pot and PCB. Fitting a new one should be straightforward, and cleaning (if that's all it needs) is do-able on some pots. That involves removing the pot and opening it up (assuming its the metal type with flanges that can be bent open).

Should be an easy fix though.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It seems like the circlip holding the shaft/wiper assembly in position is missing or the wiper is damaged such that it no longer contacts the track properly. That can happen in handling or storage or even removing/refitting the knob. You can easily replace a lost circlip from another pot. in the unusual event it has been lost but otherwise, you will surely need a new pot. 'Should still be able to get economical old style 24mm dia. dual gang types (I assume, from the vintage), depending on your location.

Or..if you like nursing things along, a fat, felt washer between pot and front panel was once a common DIY "fix" :D

Last edited:
Hi. I am repairing a Toshiba sc-330 power amp which has an issue with the left channel volume pot.

It only works when in the middle position around no 5. If I turn it to a position around 6-8 it will work but requires gentle touching to get it to stay on. After 8 it wont wont work at all. I discovered that pulling the knob out will make it work in any position but the sound goes off again when you let go.

I have tried spraying a little switch cleaner into the pots whilst turning around etc as per suggestions in other threads, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Any kind of switch/contact cleaner can delaminate the graphite resistive element inside the pot. It's best to spray/inject a small amount of Isopropyl alcohol inside the pot and rotate the pot about twenty turns.:smash:

Joined 2010
Paid Member
..... I discovered that pulling the knob out will make it work in any position but the sound goes off again when you let go...
I think that's the clue to a mechanical fault - not so much a cleaning requirement, whether cleaning helps much or not.

The problem to clean pots is that quality types like the ALPS are sealed. How do you know that you are doing anything dribbling solvent down the shaft or hoping there is a way to reach the resistive track by squirting at the tiny gap in older style, cheap pots? Solvents like IPA or alcohol are usually safer than the butane and diesoline in WD40 etc. but the problem of actually cleaning the tracks remains. Without dis-assembly and thorough washing, we are most likely wasting our time. :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.