3 preamp to choose from - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2002, 01:07 AM   #1
claudio is offline claudio  Italy
diyAudio Member

Talking 3 preamp to choose from

Hello, I need your precious advice on these 3 pre amp.
One uses nuvistor, the second is a very simple cascode and the last one is the Kaneda pre.Of the Kaneda pre I only need the line pre.
I will use the best components, so I would like to know yours advices.
Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pre cascode.jpg (21.5 KB, 3918 views)
Old 10th February 2002, 01:09 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

this is the nuvistor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pre nuvistor.jpg (29.4 KB, 3620 views)
Old 10th February 2002, 01:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

and finally the Kaneda
Attached Files
File Type: zip kanedaa.zip (35.3 KB, 1027 views)
Old 11th February 2002, 02:07 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Nuvistors, aka "acorn" tubes, are pretty cool, but you'll need to make sure that you can get the tubes and the sockets if you choose to go ahead with that design.

Grey
Old 11th February 2002, 02:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lisandro_P
I've choosen the Kaneda for my preamp (a design a bit different than the one you posted; Mr. Kaneda has literally hundreds of preamp designs published). I needed RIAA and line preamplification, and like the approach he used.
Old 12th February 2002, 08:03 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have found the nuvistor at the shop, pretty expensive though,but I never heard any pre using them, so I am not so sure about them.

About the Kaneda, does it sound good?Can you compare it to which other pre? Did you use substitute ( 2sa640 and 2sk240 are not easy to find)?

The cascode circuit is very simple: the fet is used to gain in current, the 2n2222a to gain in voltage; it is used in common base, so it has extreme linearity and wide frequency response.The 2 bd139 are used as impedence adaptor: using only one bd139 the output impedance is about 25 ohm, using 2 bd 139 the impedence is around 1 ohm.
The local retroaction is of 3 dB only.This circuit is very sensible to the quality of the components used.

What do you think about it?

Claudio
Old 12th February 2002, 10:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Claudio,
A comment on the first circuit. It may perform better using fewer transistors. Being a pre-amp I assume it will be driving +/- 2V or so into >10kohms. This is a peak current of 0.2mA. For good margin let's multiply this by 10 to give 2mA. The circuit shown looks like the Q4 bias is some 20mA to 40mA - overkill?

Instead of using two beefy BD139s I think the circuit would sound better using a single gazelle-like transistor such as a BC549. It has typical hfe 520, ft 300MHz and 500mW dissipation. The value of the emitter resistor should set the bias to, say, 10mA. The output resistance would be <10 ohms - plenty low enough for a 10k load. This saves a couple of parts and reduces the number of distortion generators.

BAM
Old 12th February 2002, 10:39 PM   #8
Banned

Default Preamps

The Kaneda preamp looks good. The matched Fet diff pair can be the 2SK389 in place of 2SK240. This a great sounding Fet pair and used John Curl and Passlabs. The bipolars can be Zetex ZTX450 and what ever the Zetex pnp comp is. The Zetex bipolars are used in several Hi End designs. Zetex also makes some wonderful small signal mosfets. (hint they are in one of Mr. Pass's
articles.) Another couple of small signal bipolars are the 2SC17775 and 2SC872. The 2SK170 are also excellent jfets and neat differential pairs when matched. All these are fairly easy to find in DigiKey or MCM electronics. Check out the jfet articles at
www.borbelyaudio.com also. I am fairly certain that that
the nuvisitorschematic has errors These are great devices but are TUBES. They are very microphonic. CJ use to use them in a MC preamp. The PCB was mounted on Rubber bands for isolation!! I read that tube was developed for the front end of high speed oscilloscopes.

H.H.
Old 12th February 2002, 10:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lisandro_P
Quote:
Originally posted by claudio
About the Kaneda, does it sound good?Can you compare it to which other pre? Did you use substitute ( 2sa640 and 2sk240 are not easy to find)?
I haven't built the Kaneda yet (right now i'm working in the case for my amp ), but it's reputed to sound excelent. I'll post the other Kaneda design i have; it uses only a cap in the feedback path for stabilization, the rest of the circuit is identical... i got these schematics from a website a good while ago, but lost the link.

BTW, i've simulated the Kaneda with "off-the-shelf" devices (BC546/556 for the bipolars and two 2N4393 for the dual FET), and, at least there, it performs ok. I also have trouble finding japanese semiconductors here, but i think any quality audio devices (motorola f.ex.) would work right.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kaneda_preamp_2.zip (20.1 KB, 661 views)
Old 12th February 2002, 11:11 PM   #10
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

Some questions to your first design:

Doesn't the first transistor of the output darlington have to be a PNP device (like in the Hiraga Monster) ?

Doesn't the output capacitor have to be much bigger? ( I would use at least a 10uF electrolytic with a 100k resistor to ground, because I think small foils sound worse when you have a significant DC offset )

Did you design it actually ? Or build it ?

I like it, but I still have doubts...

Klaus

Hide this!Advertise here!