How to model stability analysis of a linear regulator such as this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In simulation, what is the proper method to model a stability analysis of the following circuit?

Meaning where do I inject the AC signal and where do I look at the loop gain/phase? Do I need to inject the AC signal into vdc and look at vb? If so, what other modifications do I need to make to my testbench to properly model the analysis?

Attachments

• ss.png
    ss.png
    12 KB · Views: 195
use forum search for Tain Middlebrook LoopGainProbe for some discussions

you can also force the output with a Isource - the impedance curve is related to the feedback factor - severe peaking is a warning sign

load step response gives similar info

-30 degrees phase margin at the 0 dB gain intercept means its an oscillator, not a regulator

base pullup R is always used in real circuits

the pass Q adds gain depending on load current to the loop so compensation is required somewhere - heavier overcompensation is required for larger load range, C on the reg output has a big impact on stability

Here it is; the circuit had to be adjusted to display something usable as the original values were too crazy, but the principle remains the same whatever the exact circuit.

Hmm, Elvee for some reason the circuit that you posted does not work for stability analysis. I had to put a large series L and large C to the AC source to get the analysis to work.

With that said, I'm finding this setup stable without any compensation. Why is this? I modeled my opamps to have a similar open loop frequency response as in the datasheet of the LM358. Is this because the low gain bandwidth product of the opamp?

Attachments

• sch1.png
    sch1.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 68
  • sch2.png
    sch2.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 65
Hmm, Elvee for some reason the circuit that you posted does not work for stability analysis. I had to put a large series L and large C to the AC source to get the analysis to work.
Probably some restriction of the simulator you use.

With that said, I'm finding this setup stable without any compensation. Why is this?
Could be many reasons, transistor not conforming to model, parasitic inductance in the input loop, etc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.