200W class A psu considerations with IRF240

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a question regarding the definition of CLASS A.

Let's for the moment assume a complimentary/symmetry output stage with active devices in both the top and bottom positions.

Let's assume +/- 16V rails and an 8R load. Let's also assume the device can go to rail just to make it easier.

If my Iq is set to 0.1A and in a positive swing the peak current in the + side goes to 2A and the negative side is minimal. (lets say 0.001A)

That would be class AB.

If I set the Iq to 2.5A and had the same output swing and the bottom device maintained the 2.5A so the top device would have to supply 4.5A (2A o/p + 2.5A Iq from the bottom device)

That would be class A because the bottom device was still in a conduction mode.

What about in between.

I set my Iq to 1A and design the circuitry to maintain that as a minimum.

The positive swing goes to 16V @ 2A output.

The upper device supplies 3A and the lower device still supplies 1A.

This should also be class A...The inactive device (lower) is still maintaining conduction and has not "shut off".

This definition seems to be in accordance with this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/7723-what-definition-class.html

So if you have designed the output stage not to go below a certain current (never shut "off") then you have class A.

Even on a 400W with only 0.5A Iq.

This should make your class A power supply calculations easier.

Thoughts anyone?

P = I^2*R or P = I*I*R

That is what I learned...like what does work...like equivalent heating power.

"P = (I*2)^2*R" came from a peak power calculation.

rhythmsandy:

"...( 3.6 x 2 )^2*8 = 414.72W peak and for continuous ... "

(post #3)

(I don't use that one personally)

The power of 8R vs 4R would double (for 4R) assuming adequate supply of current with the same voltage applied to both 8R and 4R.

The situation discussed was not this case. There was a limit to the current available.

Goto go.

:)

lovemov. the formula: (I*2)^2*R is class A power.
and yes. without taking some action, the class A power will be half with half the impedance.
however. in a push-pull design. it will leave class A and continue into class A/B for as long as the voltage allows it to.
then the formula goes: p= V^/R
lets say it can give full rail voltage, just to make it easy. +/-60V rails.
60*60/8ohm=450W peak/225W average.
or. 60*0.707=42.4Vrms
42.4*42.4/8=225W
at 4ohm, this will dobble.
of course the PSU must manage the currents. and hold the voltage up at the same time. thats not likely to happend.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.