Unity gain solid state buffer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Circuit rebuild and retested; after adding a start resistor and a compensantion for cutting off an otherwise huge (and harmful) bandwidth. Now seem work fine.

OltreSP-Buffe-Revis4-Ok.png

Piercarlo

Hi Guys

With everything bootstrapped, it seems like the main goal is to reduce input capacitance and increase input impedance. R-IN seriously degrades the latter and could be much higher if you needed a really high z-in.

Otherwise, Doug Self showed how to achieve high z-in using just BJTs and liberal bootstrapping in his "Small Signal Audio Design" book. Bootstrapping has been around since tube days. Noise can sometimes be compromised using these methods and distortion more often is.

There are simpler ways to have a good signal buffer with low distortion and reasonable signal amplitude handling. But... like you say, sometimes you just have to try something for the sake of trying.

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor

Hi Guys

With everything bootstrapped, it seems like the main goal is to reduce input capacitance and increase input impedance. R-IN seriously degrades the latter and could be much higher if you needed a really high z-in. r

Thanks for your considerations but the goal is not having an high input-z for itself (although the real INNER input Z is above 10 Megaohm: R-In is just for locking to ground DC the input coupling capacitor and may be chosen of any value below a couple of Megaohm).

There are simpler ways to have a good signal buffer with low distortion and reasonable signal amplitude handling. But... like you say, sometimes you just have to try something for the sake of trying

Exactly! :) One "psychological" goal is to show how a circuit can become complex if someone want to achieve without feedback the (near) same result obtained WITH feedback - that however is not really absent! :) Transistor used are of the cheapest and common type but however the circuit is neatly more expensive of a simple voltage follower implemend with any low cost good audio operational amplifier... ;-).

Piercarlo

Last edited:
Here is a very simple SS buffer I use. It allows me to use 1uf polypropylene input cap. 1uf PPM cap is reasonably sized to fit onto a PCB and not act as an antenna. "I-bias" is simply a Jfet bias Idss (Vgs=0V), a few mA or so. 4091 is like a J111 and has realitivily high conductance and Vgs is about 6-8V at a few mA.

Attachments

• input buffer.jpg
    input buffer.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 258
Here is a very simple SS buffer I use. It allows me to use 1uf polypropylene input cap. 1uf PPM cap is reasonably sized to fit onto a PCB and not act as an antenna. "I-bias" is simply a Jfet bias Idss (Vgs=0V), a few mA or so. 4091 is like a J111 and has realitivily high conductance and Vgs is about 6-8V at a few mA.

Good circuit but require the use (and even a coarse selection) of two JFET, a device which is progressively fading from the market, at least in other form than the SMD format, Even more require an addictional servo with its own circuitry.

Hi
Piercarlo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.