TheTwelve SE class A TMC amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
My MoFo amp is in some ways, similar to Bogdan’s in appearance and use of choke loading. Although I only have a single MOSFET follower. Preamp stage is provided with Hugh’s Lender Preamp (capable of 40vpp). The amp itself being choke loaded with salvaged microwave oven transformers (100mH 0.47R) manages 27vpp from 19.5v.

Reading about Hugh’s Leviathan SE Class burner project makes me want to try a dual IRFP150 at 48Vdc and 3amps. Perhaps an old cast aluminum pot filled with water could be used as a heatsink? The whole amp would be very culinary indeed with a MOT and a cook pot. :)

This amp is playing very nicely right now and is perhaps one of the best I have heard connected to my main system. The lack of global feedback makes for a superb soundstage when used with transient perfect speakers.

Build This MoFo!

653521d1514551219-build-mofo-mofo-speaker-lab-main-closeup-01b-jpg

Here is FFT for 2.83vrms into 8ohms (typo in label 67mH and 0.47R):
649041d1512252857-build-mofo-mofo-67mh-1-7amp-2-83vrms-8ohms-fft-png

Here is scope trace showing max 26.8vpp into 8ohms:
649235d1512320583-build-mofo-max-output-unclipped-oscope-jpg

Last edited:
Thanks xrk, and thanks for sharing all bipolar Hugs aksa lender preamp. I really apreciate it. And thanks for sharing the Mo-Fo and the microwawe choke ideea. I'll make a trip to the scrap yard this month to see what i will find. It will really save me allot of trouble.
Please tell me, did you cut the welldings from the chokes from the fabric or use them as they are?
Happy new year to you xrk and Hugh and all of us diy'ers.
Cheers
Sergiu

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The microwave oven transformers are ready to be used as is. They even come with male spade connectors on the primary winding. Just tape off the secondaries as they can make a few hundred volts from the audio signal at full swing.

They look like this straight out of the microwave oven (or from eBay):

650417d1512863615-build-mofo-mot-2-jpg

On other side are two fat spade connectors on the thick peinarybwindongs.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.