diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Solid State (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/)
-   -   Rotel RA-930BX (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/226179-rotel-ra-930bx.html)

Karl vd Berg 21st December 2012 03:08 PM

Rotel RA-930BX
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I have a problem with my Rotel RA-930BX. It simply is totally off!

Fuses are ok, I measured the AC in the board and it is ok also.

Maybe it's an easy thing, but I can't find where's the problem!

Just stopped listening to the music! :( :bored: :worried:

Any help will be much appreciated.:o

jaycee 21st December 2012 03:36 PM

Next step is check the DC supplies at the capacitors. Are they correct?

Is your power light on?

Karl vd Berg 21st December 2012 03:42 PM

No, the power light is off...

The DC supplies at the main caps should have less than 50V but I don't know exactly how much since I don't have a schematics.

I'll measure it.:)

east electronics 21st December 2012 05:11 PM

units like that fail once in a million years
If you need a free schematic please email me

things to look at
---Check mains fuse ( Caution required at all mains operated devices )
--- depress tape monitor switch:D
--- make sure that pots and switches are clean and not scratchy
---selector switch is open onatop and doesn't like dirt
---Tape monitor switch is sealed though might get oxidized or dirty
---Verify all voltage according to the schematic
---Verify connections remember that you have direct speakers and switched speakers
---Verify proper speaker switch pressed

do this and let us know

Kind regards
sakis

jaycee 21st December 2012 05:34 PM

Schematic for the RA-930AX can be downloaded from: B&W Group North America Service & Support - Service Manuals

There is very little (if any!) difference between the AX and BX that I can tell.
You should have around +/- 38V supplies at the capacitors. The power LED is powered by the +38V supply, so if that is not lit, you are missing 38V.

I have seen instances where the bridge rectifier has failed in these amps. They are only 4A rated units and that is a bit tight. Replace with at least an 8A one if it has been damaged.

Karl vd Berg 21st December 2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycee (Post 3294309)
Schematic for the RA-930AX can be downloaded from: B&W Group North America Service & Support - Service Manuals

There is very little (if any!) difference between the AX and BX that I can tell.
You should have around +/- 38V supplies at the capacitors. The power LED is powered by the +38V supply, so if that is not lit, you are missing 38V.

I have seen instances where the bridge rectifier has failed in these amps. They are only 4A rated units and that is a bit tight. Replace with at least an 8A one if it has been damaged.

Fantastic. The unit is missing +38V. No voltage at the power capacitors.

And for the rectifier, I put my MM at the "beep" sound position and it sounds at all the 4 pins. It should block current at least in one phase, right?
If so, I'll get tomorrow same an 8A rated rectifier...

Karl vd Berg 21st December 2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakis (Post 3294276)
units like that fail once in a million years
If you need a free schematic please email me

do this and let us know

Kind regards
sakis

Thanks! I like this unit. It has plenty of Black Gates inside!

jaycee 21st December 2012 07:59 PM

You will need to take the rectifier out to test it, as it would be shunted by the windings on the transformer. I'd say its quite likely that it's toast though.

I'm not sure if those Black Gate's are stock - to me, it looks as if the unit has had all of the capacitors replaced. Still, thats a bonus for you :) My 930AX is a good sounding amp, and my only complaints with it are the stupid plastic base that has shattered.

Karl vd Berg 21st December 2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycee (Post 3294446)
You will need to take the rectifier out to test it, as it would be shunted by the windings on the transformer. I'd say its quite likely that it's toast though.

I'm not sure if those Black Gate's are stock - to me, it looks as if the unit has had all of the capacitors replaced. Still, thats a bonus for you :) My 930AX is a good sounding amp, and my only complaints with it are the stupid plastic base that has shattered.

Right, I'll take the rectifier out to test it. I can tell it's not "clean" as the other components... Looks a bit burned, but who knows...

Looking at the other side of the PCB, I see no signs of components replaced. All the soldering points seem to be still "original". Also the capacitors still have that nasty glue surrounding them...

What happened is that Rotel always made a model and, after 2 or 3 years "upgraded" it with other components. The RA-930BX is an 1994 release. Like the RA-04 series, the first seems to be from 2006. Then Rotel released the RA-04 Special Edition in 2008 (with better capacitors and resistors). Now the company just released the "new" RA-10 model. Exactly same specifications and design, but different components.:)

east electronics 22nd December 2012 09:46 AM

upgrade remarks correct

rectifier can be confusing from trafo windings but also voltage that is stored inside the caps

Again it seems that Rotel got rectifiers that where overestimated or lower quality than supposed to be ..Generally and many Rotels have a history on bowing rectifiers .

A blown rectifier will also mean a mains fuse gone ....carefully with all those

Kind regards
Sakis


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:05 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2