Amplifiers for gig

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am curious.

What is gig?

i like the sound...but tell us something about the meaning:)

Google translator said gig is:

Presentation, submission, production, introduction, appearance, cabriolet, cab, shay, fly, chaise, harpoon, gaff, creeper, hog-wash and chariot.

Maybe you want amplifier for production..... yes... we have a lot.... hundreds of different amplifiers since 2002....you have to search and make your choice.

Perceive the difference....we, Brazilians, we make effort to understand foreigners, some others make efforts to misunderstand foreigners.

Carlos

Attachments

• Brasil!.jpg
    Brasil!.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
for a PA amp, sound quality is a less important factor than a hifi amp. Consider these things:

* Larger than normal output stage - extra transistors compared to what you may normally be able to "get away with"
* Larger cooling - use of a fan in addition to a large heatsink
* Reliable protection circuitry - these amps will suffer abuse, and should be well protected against it

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The OP is probably aware that one or more of Apexaudio's design threads is usually visible on the first page.
Apex's designs are mostly medium-high power "gig" amplifiers and are proven designs.

'Suggest you search his threads, there is much to see and learn and there is always interest in big amplifiers.

to uncle Charly :

A gig is a live performance of usually musicians that ''been there before'' maybe not 100% pros but lets say ""have their way around it "".

Though the closer definition of a gig means that musicians come from far away most of the times , while at 9999.999% of the cases they are going to arrive late,have no time for proper rehearsal, argue with the sound engineer for unknown reasons ,perform the show , please the audience ( which wasnt properly informed of the program and the duration so anything they get is good ), then argue with the club owner or producers about the above reasons plus the way too many extra drinks they had but still grab the money and hit the road to far away again ... for the next gig ...

happy regards
sakis

Last edited:
When playing on stage i used a 2 x 100W RMS amp with lateral fets as my
monitoring amp , a big advantage since there is no quiescent current concern
and the devices are extremely rugged.

Main sound was devoted to class H using SMPS , though.

Last edited:
Suggest me one of them
Dear shreya, we are *beginning* to know, please explain more.
Are you talking about a band PA/DJ/mobile/fixed sound?
What speakers are you going to use? How many? Etc.
Now we have agreed on what "gig" means, but it can be anything from a few quiet acoustic or Jazz musicians to a heavy metal band making averybody deaf 2 blocks around.
Thanks.

PS: how about parts access and construction skills?
We can suggest you something, but then maybe you can't find the parts or transformer or cabinet, heatsinks, etc.
Besides the purely electronics side, in big amps there is a considerable "mechanical" work included.
Just to have an idea of what you'll meet, search the Apex Audio threads where they explain how to make a 500W and a 900W amp.
There are many more threads covering 100W up amplifiers.

Last edited:
What speakers and how many, how big are your gigs? Hi power amps need careful design and layout or they can pop in the middle of a gig and even damage your speakers if protection isn't included. Plenty of designs here in the forums.
Hi! John
I will use two pairs of 12inch 200watt 8ohms speakers.
Dear shreya, we are *beginning* to know, please explain more.
Are you talking about a band PA/DJ/mobile/fixed sound?
What speakers are you going to use? How many? Etc.
Now we have agreed on what "gig" means, but it can be anything from a few quiet acoustic or Jazz musicians to a heavy metal band making averybody deaf 2 blocks around.
Thanks.

PS: how about parts access and construction skills?
We can suggest you something, but then maybe you can't find the parts or transformer or cabinet, heatsinks, etc.
Besides the purely electronics side, in big amps there is a considerable "mechanical" work included.
Just to have an idea of what you'll meet, search the Apex Audio threads where they explain how to make a 500W and a 900W amp.
There are many more threads covering 100W up amplifiers.

I have already made an amp ax-14 of apex
I need other amplifier which is better than ax-14 and should provide more power

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.