Diamond buffer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have made a small SMD diamond buffer.

Rise tíme less than 10 ns. I can't see any difference between input signal and output signal. This buffer fast......

400 mA peak (at least) at +- 15 volts. The groundpplane can cool rather much!

Noise floor below -110 dB (less than the soundcard)

Offset 7.8 mV

Dist less than 0.009% Can't see any difference between the soundcard alone and the buffer. Walter Jung mentioned in his article dist down to 0.002% which seems to be true.

Those of you who want to see the RightMark results, send me a message.

Attachments

• qrv05_proto.jpg
    qrv05_proto.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 2,525
:up: Good looking.

I would like to see the results!

By the way. One of my friends who have a pretty good system. Based on the Gamut D200, DENON DVD2900, High fidelity jubilee speaker with rubberband mounted tweeter. He says that the AD8610 based preamp plays far better than his Classé preamp!

:O)

Thumbs up for the new opamps. Connected with a BUF634 or your diamond buffer. The level of sound quality cannot be higher!

Excellent looking PCB as usual. Very nice.

I'd like to see mounting holes in all 4 corners though. Makes me sleep better knowing that it is securely mounted. I am fairly sure Peter Daniel prefers the vibration characteristics better that way also...

Sonny,

I have made a comparison of ........ (my design) with several Classé preamps, CP-65 for example. The sound of Classé was considerably less clean and had a taste of "synthetical" sound, even though their declared parameters are perfect. Power amps were Classé CAM-350 monoblocks and Wilson Audio Maxx speaker, also Wilson Sophia. The preamp mostly estimates resulting sound.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
peranders said:

I thought you were smart guys. :nod: [snip][/url]

You thought right!;)

Per, on the schematic (Boy, what a schematic! There's probably enough parts in there for a 6-channel THX amp. But I like it, nicely symmetric and elegant. Sometimes diagrams have their own beauty aside from their utility), the left-up transistor, I think it is T11, with the collector connected to the input, is that correct? Or is it supposed to go to gnd?

Jan Didden

SMD feels so good until circiut fails

Then you have to search for faulty components and replace them, sure it's a funny task, even funnier if you don't have any schematics

So this will be a 'beautyful-buffer' until you accidentally short output to ground, use too low load impedance or reverse supply :D then it should turn into a 'hell-to-repair-buffer' :bawling:

Nice design Per! I agree with you that SMD makes it look so much nicer, and there is less parasitics to worry about too.

However, looking at your distortion numbers, I could not find out which load you were measuring into, 10k? 1k? 100?

Also is the measurement with the buffer inside the feedback-loop of an op-amp or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.