Crest CA6 PWR Amp - 240v to 120v conversion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good day
I am new here to this forum. I bought this amp on ebay not realizing its a Euro model. When plugged in to 120v, the rail voltages are exactly half of what they should be. I repair amps in my shop on a regular basis but I have not had the challenge of conversion down in voltage. The primary on the transformer has a center tap that appears un-used. I know amps that have the conversion switchs built in are for up or down conversion and the center tap helps with that but this model has no switch. Any help on this would be appreciated.

William

Usually you have two separate primaries that for 120V are in parallel, and in series for 240V, simple centertapped ones do exist but are rarely seen.

Hook up the centertap and use the series light bulb trick or a variac to limit current and see if voltages and currents are what they should be.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.