Voltage Regulator for Class A/B Power Amplifier (not SMPS/SPS) - Pros and Cons - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2012, 12:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Voltage Regulator for Class A/B Power Amplifier (not SMPS/SPS) - Pros and Cons

Voltage Serial Regulator for Class A/B Power Amplifier (not SMPS/SPS) - Pros and Cons by Listening Test

A good voltage regulation instead ordinary rectifying and smoothing ensures stable voltages and hide all the unwanted effects from transformer, rectifier and capacitors under all load conditions.
At least in theory, as to read in several papers and books.

Linn from Scotland always realized such regulators by the amplifier models LK2/LK280/Klout - go to schematics post #51/#52 about follow URL:
tweaking classic Linn LK1 & LK2 / LK280

At my own perception by listening tests I cannot observe a confirmation for this claim.
This means, the LK2-80 powered with a normal/ordinary power supply (i.e. transformer, rectifier and capacitor) with good parts provides slightly other, but not poorer sonic results compare do Linn's genuine topology. If I introduce additional low pass filter in both voltage rails (consist of 0R47/10W resistor and additional cap) the results even better as with usual used genuine regulator.
And if I use additional an inductor in place of the mentioned 0R47 Resistor (approximately 5-8mH air coil) the results are much more better than by the use of Linn's regulator.

Thus - slight voltage fluctuations causes not unwanted audible effect as long no spikes are present on the voltage rails.
OTOH - if there are spikes present as described about the URLs
http://home.arcor.de/dauner765/7293/MESS-1N5406.PDF
and
http://home.arcor.de/dauner765/7293/MESS-BYW29.PDF
from my view any serial regulation isn't able to suppress this or remove this.

In general - maybe there are nevertheless several advantages/benefits that I do overlooked until now.

Thank you for comments and advices.

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 16th December 2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 14th July 2013, 09:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

So you'd recommend to remove the regulation and I should just use RC filtering instead?

BTW, I still have some LK2/75 boards somwhere laying around. One channel is running
fine (at least it has been when I checked them), one isn't. If you want them for testing,
feel free to send me a mail.
Old 15th July 2013, 09:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticktock View Post
So you'd recommend to remove the regulation and I should just use RC filtering instead?

BTW, I still have some LK2/75 boards somwhere laying around. One channel is running
fine (at least it has been when I checked them), one isn't. If you want them for testing,
feel free to send me a mail.
Yes (10mF/0R33/10mF). But please note, that you must use a new transformer with lower AC voltages for secundary windings in this case.

Hide this!Advertise here!